Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Help authoring tool

I'm looking for a help authoring tool. I've read about RoboHelp, but is very expensive. I will evaluate Help&Manual and HelpDevelopmetStudio, but I don't know if there is another tools like these.
Does anybody knows or uses this tools ?
Can anybody suggest me another tool ? Perhaps an OpenSource one ?
Thanks,
José Luis

José Luis Sánchez
Tuesday, February 04, 2003

You could, of course, create your help pages as HTML files.  This greatly opens up the number of products you could use (perhapse even good old notebook).

Sherlock

sherlock_yoda

I use Help&Manual, and love it. They've always replied immediately to my help requests when I had a question on how to do something, and the product is regularly improved. I also very much like the templating method H&M supports, and the multiple output formats. It's been a very stable product, and for my work, was worth the cost.

Troy King

Help & Manual.  Unlike some others, the price is reasonable as well.

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)

perl's POD can be converted to man pages, xml, text, html, and latex.
Sun's javahelp is available too.

I would say xml converted to something is a good idea.

Krista

Doxygen. Built for source files, but will work well for any other task (especially if you require math, or multiple output formats). Doxygen's own manual was written with Doxygen, so you can get a good example of the capabilities.

[ http://www.doxygen.org ]

Ori Berger

Another vote for Help and Manual. With it's fantasticly intuitive interface (which worked exactly how I expected, shortcut keys and all), it's ability to create help files in WinHelp, HTML help, HTML files, or as a PDF or RTF manual, and it's amazing screen capture/image manipulation tools it makes help file writing a breeze (if not a pleasure).

Oh, and the price is great: $279.

I'm in the process of reworking documentation for a fairly complex component set (including multiple help windows and so on), and it's been a joy working with H+M.

http://www.helpandmanual.com

Just use the trial version for a few days and you'll be a convert. :-)

Tim Sullivan

Does Help&Manual generate a standard project that anyone with access to the MS HTML help compiler can compile?

Chris Dunford

"Does Help&Manual generate a standard project that anyone with access to the MS HTML help compiler can compile? "

No, it saves it in its own format - this is necessary as H&M can generate RTFs, PDFs, WinHelp and Web Pages, as well as HTML Help. All this from the same source!

If you have any further questions regarding H&M features, can I suggest you talk to the H&M guys directly via their website? My experience is that they are _extremely_ helpful.

Neil Butterworth

Am I the only one that is finding their site is down?

Konrad
Wednesday, February 05, 2003

"Am I the only one that is finding their site is down? "

Looks like they have had some problems - the site is now back up at 7th Feb 12:30AM UK Time.

Neil Butterworth
Thursday, February 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home