Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Changing the title of the discussion page

I remember it was already proposed here by someone to make title of the discussion's page to be equal to discussion's topic.
For me, it has two advantages:
1) If the title will match the topic - all I'll have to do for saving the page (in IE) is to press
Alt+F-A-Enter. For now, there's a copy-paste in between :(
2) Having number of IE windows opened I can see topic appearing in the task bar ..

Is there any chance for such a good thing to happen ?

Evgeny Goldin
Wednesday, January 16, 2002

How about now?

Michael H. Pryor
Wednesday, January 16, 2002

I still see the <TITLE> tag of discussion page equal to "The Joel on Software Forum" ..

Evgeny Goldin
Thursday, January 17, 2002

Oops - I thought you meant the discussion title, not the topic title.  I misread your request...

Michael H. Pryor

"A lack of common dictionary" :)
The titles you changed are cute too.

Evgeny Goldin

<TITLE>The Joel on Software Forum - Changing the title of the discussion page</TITLE>

Christopher Wells

Viola! Now I got it...

Michael H. Pryor

Michael, may I suggest that you take a hint from IE and swap the order:

<TITLE>Changing the title of the discussion page - The Joel on Software Forum</TITLE>

You've solved the bookmark problem, but looking at my taskbar right now, I see "The Joel o...", "The Joel o...", and "The Joel o...".

Dan Maas

Lessons learned:

1) Users don't know what they want until they get the wrong thing.

2) Trivial problems are rarely as trivial as they seem at first.

...which reminds me why I dislike the phrase "why don't you just..." so much.

Johannes Bjerregaard

I usaly say "Users won't tell you what they want, but if you are lucky they'll tell you what they don't want".

And now I'll hit at what I want: I'll like a direct link to each reply in the thread (including the "ixReplies") this will allow me to scroll down to the last read message in a thread. The tricky part is: If you make it a true direct link (i.e. http://d.f.c/jos/d?c=r#345 ) "some browsers" won't hilight the link if you only visited the non-direct link (i.e. http://d.f.c/jos/d?c=r ). Mayby the links should be non-local an the local thingy handled with javascript (based on the refer(r)er).

Lauritz

> ...which reminds me why I dislike the phrase "why don't you just..." so much.

PJ Plauger wrote a good article on a variant of this, "All I want to do is ...". IIRC, the article started out with Brian Kernighan saying something like "All I want to do is put a few simple formatting commands in a text file" and ending up with the monster that is troff.

Andrew Simmons

Michael, thank you !

Evgeny Goldin
Saturday, January 19, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home