Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Is There an International Standard for J2EE?

Would I be correct in saying that there is no internationally-recognised standard such as ISO or ECMA for the J2EE platform?

John Topley
Monday, February 03, 2003

To the best of my knowledge there is none.

(this is a troll, right?)

Just me (Sir to you)

Not at all. My organisation has just decided to adopt J2EE and one of points in its favour that I keep seeing on PowerPoint slides is that it's an international standard. I just wanted to clarify the actual situation.

John Topley

Java/J2EE is not recognized by international standard board/commitee like ISO/ECMA - Sun has kept it to itself since the beginning.  This could be the beginning of a big old flame war, but lets not go there please ;-)

GiorgioG

Yes, you would be correct. AFAIK there is no part of Java that is an ISO/ECMA standard. Just the specifications issued by Sun, normally through the JSR process.

Chris Winters

J2EE is not an international standard recognised by a group like ISO, ECMA, etc, but Sun develop specifications and then certify application servers, etc as being J2EE certified, so in that sense there are standards for Java. Also Sun's libraries do support "internationalization" (eg. locale independent dates, error messages, etc).

When you're talking about writing Java programs you can be fairly confident that a Java program written for a particular virtual machine (VM) will run on all versions of that VM across all platforms - eg. I write a JRE 1.4 program on Windows XP and then copy the class files, properties files, etc over to a machine running JRE 1.4 Red Hat 7.3 and it runs fine.

In the world of J2EE you have to be a bit more careful. Firstly with the definition of J2EE - a common mistake is to think of J2EE purely as Enterprise Java Beans (EJB). It's not, J2EE *includes* EJB, but also includes things like servlets, JSPs, JNDI, JavaMail, etc.

A servlet/JSP application packaged in a WAR file (web archive) should be pretty portable across servlet containers. I'm not so sure about an EJB application (I'm only working on my first EJB application at the moment) and there seem to be one or two vendor specific issues with configuration and deployment and from what I can tell vendors may provide additional libraries that sit outside of the (Sun-specified) standard.

So in answer to your question - there *is* an international standard for J2EE and it is defined by Sun in conultation to the Java community.

Walter Rumsby

Thanks all.

John Topley
Tuesday, February 04, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home