Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Pocket PC Audio

Hello All,

There's gotta be some gadgety types on this site.
I use a pocket pc for all the PIM stuff, another thing I like to do is to listen to music on it, problem is that I can never get it loud enough, especially if I am riding my motorbike (where did that truck come from?).

Has anybody else here had the same problem and managed to crank up the volume a bit somehow?

Many Thanks
Alberto

Alberto
Wednesday, January 29, 2003

Well, the speakers on headphones are driven by the signal, and not amplified at all, so it's exactly as loud as your PDA is outputting.

My suggestion is to get an inline amplifier. Thinkgeek.com used to sell a battery powered one, but it appears they don't any more.

I'd suggest getting one of these, and seeing if you can hack it to run off of the power from your motorbike. While you're at it, power your pda too 8-}

Mike Swieton
Thursday, January 30, 2003

Alberto,

If it is too loud you won't hear the truck!

Prakash S

Get a pair of Noise-cancelling headphones unless you want to make yourself deaf this way.

In many parts of the US, operating a moving vehicle while wearing any sort of headphones is seriously illegal and I tend to agree with this particular law. You seriously need to be hearing that truck dude!

X. J. Scott

hey alberto. you can get headphone amps at www.headphone.com. however they might be unweildy on a bike, and cost > $100.

http://www.aerostitch.com sells something called the "boosteroo" which probably does what you need, and it is only $17.

choppy

Thank you all, yes I probably do need to hear that truck, but hey, ignorance is bliss.

The boosteroo is exactly what I need.

Cheers,
Alberto

Alberto

Hey, while you're ordering the boosteroo, make sure you get a Roadcrafter suit from their site as well, so that when you *don't* hear the truck, you'll have a decent shot at living.  ;>  Great suit.  I had one back before I gave up motorized two-wheeled vehicles.

Sam Gray

hey again. (hi, bike nerds!) i second sam gray's advice, the aerostitch roadcrafters are fabulous. get the hi-viz one and look like the toxic avenger.  pretty much everything aerostitch.com carries is golden.

choppy
Friday, January 31, 2003

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Alberto
Friday, January 31, 2003

They sum up the boosteroo very nicely with this warning

"Another fine product from Total Liability Enterprises, from the well known "do not try this at home" division. We do not encourage use of this item on public or private or any other kind of roads. Best used at home in bed. Interferes with your ability to hear other stuff outside of your head that is going on around you, and that may hurt you."

Cute.

Alberto
Friday, January 31, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home