Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good way to sync Outlook folders?

All the recent discussion regarding backup techniques has made me think once again about the one FUBAR issue we have here at Mitch & Murray: all of us have a laptop and a desktop development system, and we sync the data/development directories on the two using the best $30 utility I've ever seen - "Beyond Compare".  No problems, EXCEPT this is not a viable way to sync Outlook folders on two different machines. 

Normally we copy all the day's email and task information to an additional .PST file, which we then let Beyond Compare copy between machines as required.  However, every once in a while something gets missed cause somebody forgot to copy something to the PST file before they synced.

Basically it is a pain in the ass.

Has anyone come up with a fool-proof way to sync Outlook contents between two machines?  Am I missing something obvious here?

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)
Wednesday, January 29, 2003

>>>>Has anyone come up with a fool-proof way to sync Outlook contents between two machines? <<<<<

Well sort of

>>>>Am I missing something obvious here?<<<<<

Sure are! DON'T SYNC. ONLY USE THE .PST FILE ON THE LAPTOP.

Set your desktop machine to use the laptop .pst folder as the default Outlook  folder. That way there is no synching to do.

What you do is make sure your laptop file is up to date. Then delete the .pst file on the desktop. When Outlook opens it will prompt you to find a location and you point it to the ,pst file on your laptop.

Obviously you will have to make sure that you make a back up copy of the laptop file regularly, and as there can be difficulties doing this with Outlook Open I recommend running a batch switch to close Outlook a couple of times a day and back up the ,pst file to your back up location. You're the programmers so it should be easy.

Remember to follow the advice I gave in another thread and leave your messages on the server for a couple of days. To play safe with sent items you could sent a cc to a special web account, or run a VBA script which runs when you click send and writes a copy of the message to a text file.

Stephen Jones

http://www.synchpst.com/synchpst.htm

Tony E

Tony E:

Looks like these guys have been online for all of two weeks with their product.  Have you actually used it?  Does it seem solid?

If so, this might just be The Real Deal.

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)

Just trying it at the moment, I only found it yesterday.

Tony E
Thursday, January 30, 2003

It's right that this product is online for only two weeks.

But it was over 200 times downloaded.

Believe me, it is stable.

Try it.

Thomas Wetzel
www.synchpst.com

Thomas Wetzl
Friday, January 31, 2003

If you run a Win2k server then you can redirect My Documents, or any other folder to a folder somewhere else and the OS will handle the synchronisation for you.

Some applications see through the redirection a little (OpenOffice for example), but so long as you spot it you can cope with it.

Simon Lucy
Monday, February 03, 2003

>>>>If you run a Win2k server then you can redirect My Documents, or any other folder to a folder somewhere else and the OS will handle the synchronisation for you.<<<<<

Can you give more details. I'm somewhat sceptical that it works exactly as you say.

You must also remember that a .pst file is not a folder.

There is a Offline folders synchronization feature with W2K pro (previously you had "My Briefcase"), but I'm not sure how it would work with .pst file sychronization. It seems to me it would just overwrite the file with the older date stamp with the file with the newer.

Stephen Jones
Monday, February 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home