Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

how is CityDesk doing?

just read a few articles on how the silicon valley economy has finally bottomed and unemployment dropped from 6.6% to 6.1% from november to decemeber in santa clara county.

so how is CityDesk doing as a product i wonder?  can joel finally hire those people to lick envelopes and sort files???  can small companies make the big bucks anymore???

also, as a sidenote, whatever happened to the 'tech shortage.'  i read an article about a programmer in portland, or falling back on some singing background to do radio commercials and stuff.

razib kahn
Monday, January 14, 2002

I'd like others input on this, but this is how I've felt: programming WELL is something that is difficult enough that there is not likely to very soon be a shortage of good people. Good of course being those with experiance, degrees, communications skills, etc., but I highly doubt that there will be a market for anyone who knows HTML, as there used to be. Thoughts?

Mike Swieton
Tuesday, January 15, 2002

As the market gets tighter the jobs for average people will get tighter. If you are really good at the job you can find work no trouble.

Robert Moir

>> or falling back on some singing background to do radio commercials and stuff

HAHAHA
As opposed to the rest of us musicians getting into programming becuase music won't pay the bills.

Damian

A man I respect very much once said to me, "In any profession, there's room at the top, but the middle is crowded."

A.

You can never have too *few* employees!

Patrick Breitenbach

I think it is fair to say that for the internet boom times it was far too easy to get a job programming. When everyone wants to hire it becomes so hard to get people that a lot of sub-standard people got jobs.

I know when I finished my CS degree (3 years ago) there were maybe 10% of the people in my graduating class who could write a functioning program of any size. Half of the final year projects were trivial projects that 5 years ago would not have been good enough to graduate on. But the industry was so stuck for people that any graduate in CS got a job, so a lot of acadamic institutions lowered their graduating requirements and simplified the courses to make it easier to churn out the numbers of graduates industry was demanding.

What we are seeing now is the market not being able to support people who simply were not cut out for the work in the first place but who were there to make up the numbers anyway.

There is however a negative side to this, from my graduating class most of the competent programmers are still working as programmers since that is what they do best and are still on the bottom rung of the ladder when it comes to layoffs, conversely many of the less competent programmers since programming was never their forte took any chances to move up the corporate ladder into middle managment positions and so they are escaping the purge so to speak.

Those who couldnt fight ran away, those who could stayed behind and are now getting slaughtered.

Wakka Wakka Wakka
Friday, January 25, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home