Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Backup costs per user

Hi,

we have currently an internal discussion about the costs for a new decent backup solution. The expectations about what such a solution should cost vary somewhat and i just wanted to get a quick overview about what other shops pay for their safety net.

We are a game developer so we have quite a lot of assets to backup. Our perforce depot is currently just that bit above 20gigs so our current tape drive is getting too small. Server backup would require around 80-90gigs, and backups with client machines would add 10-80gig per client, if we start to backup them, whats currently not done (all our assets are on the server or most probably even under revision control).
We have an exchange server running that should also be backup up and are about 20 developers, with growing tendency.

So how much money should we spend on a backup solution (hardware, software, mediums), how much should we plan for? Are there any numbers floating around such as: plan for x dollars per user?

Dirk
Sunday, January 26, 2003

Hmmm it's not really an answer to your question, and I may be abit naive, but why don't you give Amanda a try before spending lots of money on a commercial solution?
If you have a smart Linux sysadmin or can get one, Amanda can centralize your Win/Linux/whatever backups at no license costs.....

ludoo
Sunday, January 26, 2003

Oh, most of the costs are not the software but the hardware. One of our current solutions would be an Ultrium2 autoloader. Together with software and tapes we would top 10000€, quite a bit. But most of this sum comes from the autoloader. The software is just about 2000€ (a few hundred more or less)...

Dirk
Sunday, January 26, 2003

I'm at a games company too, and we got a little standalone "backup server" (read: computer with large hard drive and fancy software.) It does the job - more interestingly, it does incremental backups and allows rollback, which has come in handy a few times. Our source data is small enough that this works fine (our intermediate data has passed 250gb and is still going strong.)

I don't know the name of it offhand, but it's one of the standalone storage systems. I think a tape system is probably overkill, personally.

Zorba
Monday, January 27, 2003

The possibility to take a backup offsite is important. Think of a fire in the server room. With an offsite backup its a problem for the insurances, without offsite backup your shop can be closed...
But on the other hand, we also thought about taking a large ide raid system and do backups onto that and not onto tape drives...

Dirk
Monday, January 27, 2003

"how much money should we spend on a backup solution"

a bit less than you would lose without one

Wednesday, January 29, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home