Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Another lesson...

Over the last few years a large number of developers have moved to developing on a laptop exclusively. With the price of a high-end laptop now within budget, it just seems logical to use one (hey, I can work from the park now! Woot!).

Well, I think Joel has just given an excellent set of reasons to not do so. Computers have stabilized so much in the last few years that it is easy to be become careless with our data. But the fact still remains, portability and reliability are often mutually exclusive.

Now, if you don’t mind, I’m off to check on my offsite storage procedures….

LivingInFear
Sunday, January 26, 2003

I just started backing up my machine. Burning CD's for double redundancy.

WNC
Sunday, January 26, 2003

The moral of the story is that a backup plan isn't complete until you've tested you can restore the backup correctly.

Matthew Lock
Sunday, January 26, 2003

Backup plans should have nothing to do with whether you're working on a laptop vs. a desktop. 

Bella
Sunday, January 26, 2003

I use a laptop to develop with, but I use emacs and ftp.. so none of the files are ever on my hard drive at all. I've had my laptop over 3 years and have never once lost any data on it, but if I did tomorrow, I wouldn't care.. all my data is kept on our dev server, which is super-backed up!

Josh Jones
Sunday, January 26, 2003

"But the fact still remains, portability and reliability are often mutually exclusive."

Often, but not always. I've been using laptops since around 1990 and have never had a single problem (I must have owned or had the use of around a dozen during that time).

My current CVS server is a Sony Vaio TEK 600 laptop running Suse Linux - I just checked the uptime, and it was 193 days, and I seem to remember that the reason I took it down way back then then was because I was rearranging my network wiring - nothing to do with the laptop.

Neil Butterworth
Sunday, January 26, 2003

Under all circumstances, user sever based version control.  Period.  I've had 3 laptop drives go bad in the last 4 years.  Replace, reinstall OS, resync.  Takes about a day to be fully armed.

Nat Ersoz
Monday, January 27, 2003

The real moral of the story is that a disaster recovery plan is just as important as the backup plan.

Phibian
Monday, January 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home