Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

It's Back!

Nice to see Joel's website back online!

I was starting to go through withdrawl without my 'Joel on Software Forum' fix.

jeff
Saturday, January 25, 2003

It was awful but I'm hoping the Fog folks have a story to tell about the outage.

tk

Yeah I guess I gotta find some new site to surf, I didn't realize how much of a regular I have become.

Li-fan Chen

A massive outage that affected loads of  sites.

As bad or worse than Code Red

And of course try and finding anything about it on the  parts of the internet that are still up!

Stephen Jones

Not Yet another hard disk faliure:-)

Prakash S
Sunday, January 26, 2003

Is it just me or this site goes dead a couple of times lately? HW upgrade?

S.C.
Sunday, January 26, 2003

I have to get my joelonsoftware fix!!!!! Help!!!! I need a jolt of the fog creek software forum!!!! Send money to joel to buy new hardware quick!!!

WNC
Sunday, January 26, 2003

Actually the worm has been called Slammer. Here's a link to an article.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,845164,00.asp

Stephen Jones
Sunday, January 26, 2003

From Joel's article it looks like his problem wasn't really related to the Slammer worm, since it started before the worm got out.  Nevertheless, Savvis, Worldcom, and Verizon clearly had their hands full on Saturday morning.  While none of them may have distinguished themselves, it's only fair to cut them a little more slack than you normally would.

However, Joel's larger point remains valid.  Multiple layers of reselling add multiple layers of bureaucracy, delay, and finger-pointing.

These arrangements would probably never have arisen in the first place if it weren't for a weird regulatory scheme that requires a few specific telcos to subsidize their own competition.  Verizon has to sell their service to Worldcom for less than it costs to provide the service.  Worldcom then resells the service to others and pockets the difference, having contributed little or nothing themselves.

The results:

1. The appearance, though not the reality, of competition.

2. Free money for the reseller, minus the cost of his sales force.

3. Artificially low prices for the end user.

These results may be politically popular. However, you don't have to be a friend of the big, bad telcos to recognize that they can't sustain these mandated raids on their treasuries forever.  Moreover they have little incentive to maintain or upgrade the infrastructure if the benefits are siphoned off to others.

Scott McKellar
Sunday, January 26, 2003

Bah.  As the customer, Joel shouldn't have to care that it's Verizon's fault that his service is down.  When Savvis says "it's Verizon's fault", his proper response is "I don't care /whose/ fault it is, I'm paying /you/ good money for internet service, and it's down.  Fix it!"

When I pay money for a service, it becomes entirely the responsibility of that service provider to make sure my service is working.  If they can't do anything because it's all Verizon's fault, then they should reconsider their relationship with Verizon, or else suffer the consequences of not being a reliable service provider.

Foolish Jordan
Sunday, January 26, 2003

I agree with Jordan 100%.  It doesn't matter who's "fault" it is, we're paying SAVVIS, so when its out, it's their FAULT.

The worst part is their website has all this hoopla about 24x7 connectivity.  Quote from their website "SAVVIS Means Reliability — With No Excuses" .. yah right.  It's all marketing.

They also have an entire page devoted to trouble ticket escalations, and this is the second time we've asked them for our escalation level and were told they don't have escalations.  (And the second time we directed the tech on the phone to the web page @ http://www.savvis.net/customer/monitoring.html and they mumbled something incoherent).

Anyway, the point is that I had to call WorldCOM, and I had to call Verizon and all three companies are completely inept.  But the morale of the story is that no matter what Verizon owns the whole process, so if I have to deal with inept people, I want to deal with the source.

Michael H. Pryor
Sunday, January 26, 2003

I had problems with my site getting tons of hits starting Friday afternoon so I think that worm got lose earlier than they think.

X. J. Scott
Sunday, January 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home