Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

advice

Basically I am software developer and have been unemployed for 5 months now. I had given a couple of interviews a month back, but ever since the new year, I have not had any interviews.
I have around 15 months of work experience in VC++/MFC and OpenGL and a year of co-op experience mostly Java, with a BCS degree.I have delivered quality production code, and have excellent references.

I am finding without minimum 3-4 years experience nobody bothers even looking, and without contacts it's very difficult.
I am willing to relocate, but I get no response back from employers.I had my resume critiqued by a professional service, no problem there,I have even been cold calling, talked directly to CEO's but to no avail.

Does anybody have contacts in the Toronto area or know if anybody is hiring?suggestions anything new I should try?

unemployed
Thursday, January 23, 2003

Stay positive.
You will find work.

I went some time last year without work, so I know what you're experiencing.

Keep doing what you are doing, it's only January, so it's natural for the work front to be quieter than usual.

Been There

I'm finding the opposite -- that even with 4+ years experience, there are positions out there that require a BSCS.  (=  I've often found that the job market picks up after January.  Hang in there.  Meanwhile, work on interesting projects you can add to your resume.

Sam Gray

You might find my old thread "How do you get a programming position?" helpful.  Just scroll down further on this page.  It is somewhat of a rant/vent.  I'll say this though, You are not alone. )

AngryNoMore

Unemployed writes:
>>I am finding without minimum 3-4 years experience nobody bothers even looking, and without contacts it's very difficult.

Sam Gray writes:
>>I'm finding the opposite -- that even with 4+ years experience, there are positions out there that require a BSCS.

Well, I have a BSCS & 15 years of experience and am having no luck in finding a new job (laid off three months ago).

Part of the problem is the total glut of programmers in the market (esp. here in Chicago with Lucent, Motorola, Tellabs and other large shops sheading 100's of tech people).

My experience is mainly C/C++ with just a bit of Java. I told several recruiters that I'd be willing to work cheap if I could get a job that'd give me more Java experience - they all said that there were plenty of people with Java experience willing to work cheap (and C++, etc).

It's just not a good time to be trying to get a job...

jeff

I am finding same thing here, too many programmers unemployed for fewer jobs.Would anybody suggest moving to Bangalore? Plenty of job openings there, I checked it out.
Motorola,Intel ,SUN all hiring in Bangalore.An experienced developer could get 60,000 Rupees a month, not much in dollar terms, but a great living standard in India.

unemployed

It's not a bad idea at all. Work for couple of years in Bangalore untill the economy picks up in US and then come back and say you got lot of experience in managing Indian programmers! It will be a great plus here because most of the Programmers here are from India anyway!
Also if you have Coporate America experience, you will get paid very well in Bangalore.
Bangalore is like most of the US cities, great pubs and fun social scene! You just need to hang out with right crowd :) Go and have fun for couple of years :)

Joe
Friday, January 24, 2003

Hi,

I am from Mangalore (which is very near to Bangalore) working for Infosys.

I agree what has been said about Bangalore. If you have more than 3 years of experience in IT, it is not difficult to find a job. Currently the who's who in Indian IT (Infosys, Wipro, TCS) are all hiriing specially in Quality area.

Also look out Hyderabad as an option. Number of good oppurtunties are lying in there too.

Regards,
JD

JD
Friday, January 24, 2003

I have no advice to offer, I'm afraid. All I can say is that you've done nothing wrong. The situation is like that almost everywhere at the moment (globally speaking; there will always be hotspots).

The main problem is not that there is no work; there is always work, but that there are lots of IT people who are not working ("resting", as our thespianic friends say).

This means that employers can afford to be more selective. Why on earth would they give you a job when they can someone else with 5 years experience for the same cost?

Exploring India as a work option sounds great, but does depend on your other commitments and responsibilities.

I hope you have done something useful with your 5 months, eg learning .Net or whatever.

Best of luck anyway.

Justin
Friday, January 24, 2003

I've found recently that experience of .NET as a requirement is on the increase.

I don't know what I'm going to do. I had about four days' experience in .NET (basically a "Hello World" in C# and using some data bound controls to access a remote object via SOAP) before I got laid off. And there's not much chance of doing any here soon in the land of VB6 maintenance programming hell.

Hey ho.

Better than being unemployed...
Friday, January 24, 2003

Nortel was hiring as many as 25000 IT in the GTA.  Most of this workforce is currently unemployed.

With just few jobs and so many good people around, the problem is huge and finding an IT job in Toronto or GTA is not a matter of skill but luck.

Good luck anyway

Dino
Friday, January 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home