Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Making Easy things easy ...

Ok, so I want to play an .mp3 or .wav file or something on my PC through windows media player or whatever ...

... and to be able to stick headphones into something to listen.

I don't want to have to unplug my PC speakers.  Out of the CD Rom tray would be best.

Failing that - gee, a hardware splitter?

It should be easier than that ...

Ideas?

Matt H.
Wednesday, January 22, 2003

Good speakers have a headphone jack built into them.

CharlesC

Heh, I went through this exact same thing last week.

I've got cheap speakers (the employer provided them, so no real complaints), which I like to use when no one else is here at the office (headphones start to hurt my ears after a while), and I use headphones during the day.

The easiest solution is to go to Wally World or Radio Shack and buy a splitter.  It cost me about $3 with tax.

I agree though, a front head phone plug or at least another line out would have been more better.

Steve Barbour

There are speakers on the market with a headphone jack in one of the speakers. When the headphones are in the jack, the sound is routed to them and not the speakers.

Here's a link to the speakers my last job used (and worked like this): http://www2.warehouse.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=VW74914

jeff

If you`ve got a good headphones, and plug them into a typical speakers...well...the sound will be awful. Don`t do that.
I`ve got Technics h-phones, with a really good sound quality for Technics h-phone. When I plug them into Samsung speakers...oh...the sound quality drops to Samsung`s one=awful.

Slava
Thursday, January 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home