Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Salary?

What do you think would be an average salary for the following job?

Overall responsibility for a development group of about a dozen developers, including hire/fire and budget responsibilities. Responsible for software's architecture, design and development. Basically, the person in this job takes their marching orders from CEO and is responsible for ensuring that the software is developed on time with good quality. So, it would involve working with developers to architect it, managing the development process, mentoring, project management, yada, yada, yada.

(Software is a web based application for a vertical market operating out of the Southwest.)

I know this is somewhat vague, but what range of salary do you think this type of position would be in?

Just Curious
Wednesday, January 22, 2003

Hiring, Firing ... ok.

Project Management? (Lead the Projects)

Product Management? (Write the specs?)

Technology Management? (Choose VB or VC++)

Entire SDLC? (Do you manage testers, marketing people, or support people?)

Business Planning? (Do you come up with the ideas of what you are going to sell next year?)

Annual Reviews and Mentoring? (I think this is 'yes')

Management "team meetings"?

Demo the product(s) to potential clients?  How involved in sales is it?

Is the position responsible (or responsible for the people who are responsible) for all this stuff?

Is the company a SW organization or other?  Does the department work for internal clients or external?  Custom or Shrink-Wrap?

Without details, no help to you I can give.

Matt H.

Project Management? - Position would have ultimate responsibility for PM, but wouldn't be just a full time PM. Some PM responsbilities would likely be delegated.

Product Management? (Write the specs?) - Would have a hand in this process, but this would be a collaborative effort with sales.

Technology Management? (Choose VB or VC++) - Person in the position would make determination of technology used.

Entire SDLC? (Do you manage testers, marketing people, or support people?) - Definitely responsible for testers, probably not marketing nor support.

Business Planning? (Do you come up with the ideas of what you are going to sell next year?) - Not really. Sales and marketing would likely do this. Person would be involved, but only to the degree of reigning in sales.

Annual Reviews and Mentoring? (I think this is 'yes') - yes.

Management "team meetings"? - yup.

Demo the product(s) to potential clients?  How involved in sales is it? - Likely do "dog and pony" shows.  Person would be "technical face" of the company. Doing shows, speaking as required. (Smaller company, so we're not talking keynote of Comdex here.)

Is the company a SW organization or other?  Does the department work for internal clients or external?  Custom or Shrink-Wrap? - Seems to be shrink-wrap for a vertical market. Some customization likely.

Just Curious

I'm not sure if these numbers are accurate, but I got them from a fortune-500 company a few years back, in a mid-size (greenbay wisconsin or so) city in the mid-west.

Low: 70K
Mid: 90K
Max: 110K

Of course, the company had profit-sharing, pension, 401K match, and a generous vacation package.  And, I am assuming, bonuses if the business unit beat some goals.

For a "small" company, I'd bet the numbers are smaller, but, I dunno.

It really depends.  The guys who advertise in computerworld pay more, I bet lots of shops pay less.

just my $0.02 ...

Matt H.

Given the vague job description, in my area (Cincinnati, OH) you can expect anywhere in the range of 80K to 120K a year, depending on the details of the job and what kind of company it's for. That's quite a big range, but there's quite a big range in the types of jobs and companies that fit that description.

SergentSaussage

You described the Vice President of Software Development. If the company is at all known, you're looking at $160-$250k. Also included will be stock options and hefty bonuses upon project delivery.

Charlotte C.

you might go check salary.com

Bob Greene

I'd second Charlotte's take.  You need: technical savvy, project management, personnel/budget management, and strong leadership/accountability.  Absolutely no less than $110k.  Heck, you're looking at $70k minimum for a _good_ engineer.

Spend the money, as whoever you hire will make or break the endeavor.  Also consider dividing out.  No way someone can manage 12 engineers and also take on planning and project management.

Bill Carlson

I'm going to have to agree with Bill.  A VERY experienced architect that has a few enterprise level apps under his belt will be poping six figures.  Add great management and PM skills, you have somone that will MAKE or BREAK a company.  I'd give that guy whatever it takes to get him on board.  Sure, if your doing some mid level VB apps and want to be a little organized, hire a guy for 80k.  Otherwise, we're talking big bucks.

Vincent Marquez
Thursday, January 23, 2003

Thanks for the info everyone.

FWIW, this wasn't a position that I was looking to fill, but rather one that I had been approached about. I'm of the same opinion of the latter posters, that this position makes or breaks a company that sells software. Given the responsibilities of the position, I felt a minimum of 150K was about right.

Just Curious

>Given the responsibilities of the position,
>I felt a minimum of 150K was about right.

WHERE in the SW?  If we're talking about dallas, TX, that might be about right.

If it's a smaller city (< 150,000), I think my numbers are closer to correct.

Matt H.

salary.com is usually pretty accurate.

runtime

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home