Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

comparing databases

I am looking fro good sites which fairly caompare between Microsoft SQL server And Oracle database.
Any sugessted book readind or websites

Tazha Shabir
Wednesday, January 22, 2003

Good luck finding an honest comparison. It comes down to this: Oracle can run on much more impressive hardware, and can thus ultimately handle more data faster, but on run-of-the-mill hardware SQL Server is faster (according to various TPC tests) and cheaper. When choosing one of those platforms, the final performance is the result of the developer, not which of the two platforms you choose, assuming that you don't need special hardware or have extremely high requirements.

I have seen small Oracle databases that perform very poorly on massive hardware and large SQL databases that perform extremely well on older, slower hardware. I have also seen top-speed databases slowed down by incompetent db developers, and seen hopelessly slow databases made lightning-fast.

This leads me to believe that for the vast majority of cases, it's all in the skill of the implementer, not the choice of the platform. Of course everyone thinks their own database is particularly large or special for some reason, but I've never seen one that couldn't be made to perform better with the right code and right indexes.

I know details of a 100GB database with 80GB weekly churn than runs on average hardware very quickly, and these days I consider that an “average” size. I myself manage a database that gets between 40 and 70 million inserts every day, and does so on vanilla clone hardware that sits idle most of the time. I’ve also seen a database that is 1/30th  the size of my own that runs on eight times the hardware, and performs many times more slowly, and yes, I’m comparing apples to apples.

It’s the developer. Don’t let the platform zealots convince you otherwise.

Troy King

There is http://www.only4gurus.com/download.asp?ID=165 , and I am sure a sibling document will exist from Oracle making the exact opposite claims.

Just me (Sir to you)

There is a "Cost Of Ownership" whitepaper at http://www.progress.com/analyst/aberdeen_1199.htm. It is designed to show the quality of their own database (Progress RDBMS), but it gives you a good comparison of SQL Server and Oracle.

Marc

Sorry, that link included the period... How about this: http://www.progress.com/analyst/aberdeen_1199.htm

Marc

Marc,

Given the timeframe of this report (1998-1999), I wsould say it is more of "historical" value, and not realy related to the current situation.
Still, some srange figures in there that are not further substantiated. One that struc me was:

DBA cost:
Progress: 13.000$
MS SS7: 22.500$
Oracle 8i: 150.000$

While this could be debatable, stranger still:

The cost of administering the Progress Workgroup Server V9 with 10 clients is 13.000$, and goes up to 18.600$ for 25 clients. These figures are exactly repeated for the Progress Enterprise Server, but then they are attached to 50 and 100 users respectively. What a coincidence.
And although they state in their report:
"Choosing an Internet-access license clearly makes sense for implementations that are likely to exceed 25 users in the near future. IS buyers should look closely at this option. "
In the rest of the report the DBA cost for such an unlimited user scenario is less than that of the 25 or 100 user scenario, and yet again by pure coincidence equal to that of the "least number of users" quoted (10-50 resp).

Now of course we could still think that this was something a TCO study looked into but was not the primary focus or expertise, but they state:

"Because administrative costs are a major component of overall VCO and embedded databases vary widely in administrative costs, performing a realistic analysis of likely DBA costs before purchasing any software or hardware can make a huge difference in life cycle costs."

Sigh.

Just me (Sir to you)

>>>>>>>>I am looking fro good sites which fairly caompare between Microsoft SQL server And Oracle database.
Any sugessted book readind or websites<<<<<<<<,

What do you want to compare?

Stephen Jones

Doesn't Oracle (actually all db vendors) explicitly prohibit benchmarking and publishing the results? I read something about that, now I cannot recall.

Passater

Passater -- they do, but then they turn around and participate in the TPC benchmarks. You can get results at http://www.tpc.org/ .

Troy King

I you go by Sybase website, they come out tops on tco.

Karel
Thursday, January 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home