Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good C book for newbie

I apologize if this question has been asked a billion times before; what C book would you guys recommend to teach oneself C. I know other programming languages including Delphi, assembler and such...but I need to refresh my syntax knowledge to get my **chars and char**'s right.

Patrik
Monday, January 20, 2003

Well lots of people (including many people on this site) recommend "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan & Ritchie (universally known as "K&R"), though personally I learned C from "C How To Program" by Deitel & Deitel - though I don't know if that's still in print.

Don't get put off by talk of stacks, memory allocation and pointers, to be a C programmer you gotta learn them...

Better than being unemployed...
Monday, January 20, 2003

I have "C++ How To Program" by Deitel & Deitel, and it's my favorite out of all my C++ books. If you can find the C version of this book, I'd recommend it. (The one I have is the latest 4th edition)

HeyCoolAid!
Monday, January 20, 2003

http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0hr/beginner_s_c.htm

Danil
Monday, January 20, 2003

I just picked up Beginning C by Ivor Horton and from what I've read it is a great book. It covers everything very thoroughly but in an easy to read way. I picked it up because of his superb C++ book under the same publisher (WROX).

Ian Stallings
Monday, January 20, 2003

You should go for the "bible" i.e. R&K's "The C Programming Language". Straight from the horse's mouth.

Lennart Fridén
Monday, January 20, 2003

K & R is better reference than tutorial. But nothing teaches you like experience. So pick some random goal and code it. Pick another goal.
WROX and Waite Group both are dedicated to publishing modern C walk-throughs. The kind of book at college bookstores will insist you learn some computer science too.

Li-fan Chen
Monday, January 20, 2003

Mastering Standard C by Rex Jaeschke is pretty simple to understand. Also, read alot of code and practice. Reading a syntax book won't help you understand anything.

C
Monday, January 20, 2003

"K & R is better reference than tutorial."

I disagree.  I thought K & R was a great tutorial, but only if you take the time to work through the exercises.  Also, there are several sites with solutions to the exercises:

-- http://www.kamilche.com/c
-- http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/

These are useful if you get stuck or would just like to see how others approached the problem.  Also, it is the de facto learning edition book discussed on the usenet (Google Groups) site:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c%2B%2B

Lastly, I think that the only reason that K & R is not on the ACCU highly-recommended list is because they've never reviewed it (which is odd, if you think about it).

Nick Hebb
Monday, January 20, 2003

A second on the Deitel & Deitel text. 

Well written and concise.

Chad R. Millen
Monday, January 20, 2003

I wouldn't call K&R a bible considering it's brevity.

I wouldn't consider K&R worth getting because it's authored by the language's creators. They are frequently lousy book writers.

But I would strongly consider K&R.

pb
Tuesday, January 21, 2003

Thanks for all the replies guys! I will check out the titles
recommended and go with one of them.

Patrik

I have had good success with K. N. King's _C Programming: A Modern Approach_.  Lucid explanations and plenty of exercises.

I have the Deitel & Deitel C++ book and can't stand it; the content seems decent but there's so much visual clutter (colors and more colors, tips scattered everywhere) it's a pain to read.  It's the literary equivalent of Attack of the Clones.  King's book has good layout as well as good explanations.

(Of course, whatever books you end up with, you'll learn the language best if you use two or three instead of just one.)

Kyralessa

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home