Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Patterns: Introducing new idea into orgs

This seems like entertaining reading for change agents.
http://www.cs.unca.edu/~manns/intropatterns.html

Patterns must be the best invention for authors since the "each chapter is an essay" writing style.

Tj
Sunday, January 19, 2003

I don't get it. What the heck are "patterns", and why would I want to introduce them anywhere?

I generally don't consider it a good sign when a publication/website/person/whatever gets highly enthusastic about Widget X, without ever bothering to explain what Widget X is or does.

Martha
Monday, January 20, 2003

It's the whole Design Patterns craze.  (I know you're asking rhetorically.)  It's kinda amusing, but it looks like people are finding that book a nice way to structure their thoughts when writing them down.  Maybe a way of saying, "Here's what I noticed," without sounding arrogant or analyzing things deeply.

Tj
Monday, January 20, 2003

The site appears to have been "Joeled" :)

Walter Rumsby
Monday, January 20, 2003

>>Maybe a way of saying, "Here's what I noticed," without sounding arrogant or analyzing things deeply.

Design Patterns (and other paterns) are nice because they give a shorthand for specifications or documentation. If you say 'This class is a Singleton' that provides a lot of information quickly and more accurately then having to write 'there is only one instance of this class and you access it through the getInstance method.'

jeff
Monday, January 20, 2003

basically design patterns help to improve software design... =)

Wei
Monday, January 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home