Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Rentacoder sites

I'm a bit tired working in IT, and wondering about those rentacoder type sites.  I'm thinking of working with one in my spare time (as a codemonkey) for fun.  Which ones are decent?  I only know of two:
http://www.elance.com/
Requires you to pay money in advance, ugh.  Only good if you're serious and want a barrier to entry.  At least eBay pimps it.

http://www.rentacoder.com/
The only drawback is they encourage buyers to require ownership of the copyright.  How many times a day is that violated or worked around?

Tj
Sunday, January 19, 2003

I have never heard of anyone getting work of any kind off those sites. If you think the work will come to you; you are mistaken. You have to put forth some effort...there is alot of compettion out there.

john galt
Sunday, January 19, 2003

I've actually done a job on rentacoder. It work out to about $10/hour - but only because I worked *really* fast on the project.

Rentacoder is filled with several types of buyers:
1) People looking to get spam-ware written - cheap.
2) People looking to get a clone of a popular web-site - cheap.
3) People looking to get a clone op popular software - cheap.
4) Students looking to get their homework done - cheap.

The key phrase is 'cheap' - and they get it. If you look at the bids that are accepted on any particular job, it's usually seems to work out to about US minimum wage. Not surprisingly, most of the work seems to go to people working in low cost of living countries.

In a slashdot article that discussed rentacoder, someone wondered why people didn't use it for subcontracting (and pocketing the difference). There were several 'we already do that' replys.

As to the original question of 'The only drawback is they encourage buyers to require ownership of the copyright.  How many times a day is that violated or worked around?' - this is a standard part of most consulting agreements.

jeff
Sunday, January 19, 2003

My theory is that ANY work arrangement facilitated via the internet will pay dirt-cheap.

I surfed Rentacoder for a month last summer and came to the following conclusions:

First, the person that posted in this thread that the RFPs on these sites come from bottom feeding clients and students is absolutely 100% correct. The requirements are utterly unrealistic outside the third world. Example: "we want a clone of Ebay, keep it low, won't go above $2000." "Make us a clone of Ms-Word customized to the pet mortuary industry, and we need it by March 1." (this being Feb 25, for instance)

Secondly, many of the a-holes posting projects on these sites (I call anyone who wants the moon for $3.50 an a-hole, sorry!) generally list HUGE sets of prerequisite experience for anyone bidding. IE: "must have verifiable PICK BASIC, VAX PL/1, and HP3000 SCHEME experience. Must send in three complete project source code sets from past projects. Must speak fluent Basque. Must possess copper based blood and pointed ears."

Thirdly, the projects that are at least remotely, conceivably doable by a real, existing developer usually already contain 20-30 or more bids, usually by work for food offshore types posting huge, rambling, polysyllabillic, alphabet soup skilled, generic boilerplate responses. These offshore places all make it sound like they have a team of 20 PHD level people that they will throw at a $500 project for a month.

I think Elance and  Rentacoder, among others, are cruel practical jokes on the developer community. Maybe "The Onion" is behind both of them... Don't waste your time, except for an ironic laugh.

Curmudgeon
Sunday, January 19, 2003

Both RentACoder and eLance are serious sites.
But there is one simple thing: they are tageted towards offshore developers.
If you are in USA or similar rich country you just woun't earn enough.
I am from Bulgaria and I must say that working for RentACoder I could raise my income very seriously (quitting from my job).
When going to such sites you have to accept that you will be competing with hundreds of indians (no offence at all). So you will have to provide either lower prices or better quality than the average (which I choosed).
If you are very good I suppose that you can earn something between $1000 and $2000. No more. And certainly often less. If you are in a poor country this is more than enough. If you are in USA just don't bother looking at these cites.

Boris Yankov
Sunday, January 19, 2003

I just had a quick look and noticed that they all want exclusive legal rights to the code.

I had once thought about banging out some common functions/classes and reselling them there, but I don't think that would be possible under the agreement they offer.

Matthew Lock
Monday, January 20, 2003

Boris, is Bulgaria so cheap? Really? Only a few companies from Russia work on elance, because it`s a way too cheap and full of BS.
And I don`t think anyone work with Rentacoder, because it is even cheaper and it is even more BS here.

Slava
Monday, January 20, 2003

More on Rentacoder. We (me and my friend) were browsing this site and then we found a request for some software, for the price...hmmm...may be about $200-250. The funny thing was that we were working on $50+K project for US client with the same functionality:)
The estimation in man-hours was above 1000 hours for experienced Russian developers. So can anyone here imagine the guy that can do the same work for about $0.25 per hour? Even in the world`s poorest country? He`ll have to pay for Internet traffic and computer, right?:)

Slava
Monday, January 20, 2003

I came to the same conclusions about elance last year. Even signing to the subscription service (about £75 I think, for 2 or 3 categories), there are still a few people bidding with outrageously low bids.

Having said that, there were more than a few projects on which I could have been earning between $5k-$6k a month.

The main thing that put me off was the tendering process which involved several days work creating a proposal for a very loose list of functional requirements. I seemed to spend all my time writing these, before either being ignored or asked if I could do it cheaper.

I now use UK specific sites for additional pocket-money work, to supplement my main freelance income.

Weblens.org has quite a good list of sites.

Justin
Monday, January 20, 2003

Question:

Is anyone else here independent?

If so, has any other independent here been burnt BADLY by a fixed price contract? Where the client either withheld 50% of the complexity from you until work was started, or the client gradually (or suddenly) inflated the scope of the work, and they wouldn't pay jack s*** until you performed a whole bunch of extra free work? Or, the client did things that made either discovery, specs, implementation or debugging almost impossible, but would not renegotiate?

I have, and *all* of these scenarios have happened to me. It really surprises me that nobody in this thread has yet tried to compare rentacoder site type work  to 'normally gotten' contract work.

A key point: fixed cost contracts are absolutely the riskiest undertakings that you can engage in. You can get TOTALLY burnt on just one such project, even though everyone in the picture is talking US scale development rates.

THEN, to compound this inherently high business risk, the bottom feeders posting the "we want an MS OFFICE clone running in Linux for $2000 or under" RFPs provide loose, unprofessional, handwaving style specs, so in the context of a fixed bid you don't even KNOW what the client really wants. As someone else correctly pointed out, just to communicate properly with any of these people you have to spend boocoo time and effort doing a spec that you throw over the wall. And who's to say that your words don't wind up as enhancements to the RFP without pay?

My point is: it's hard enough to make money off of fixed price development when the client is local, and is looking for simply a "break" on hourly work. I just don't see how it could possibly work when the BS level of dealing with the bidding systems of these websites and dealing with random, unknown clients is added in.

Curmudgeon
Monday, January 20, 2003

"or the client gradually (or suddenly) inflated the scope of the work, and they wouldn't pay jack s*** until you performed a whole bunch of extra free work?"

Um.. That's why getting the client to sign off on the requirements/features to be implemented is so important.  You don't do substantially more than what is in the negotiated requirements, otherwise you are likely to take a bath.

At time of signing the contract, you also negotiate a price for hourly work for "Out of Scope work".  If the client adds to the scope, you let them know a time estimate (and whether it will throw off time estimates and by how much, if it is critical to be implemented before the first Phase is implemented).  In general, you also tell clients that additions will be implemented in Phase II (within reason of course).

You should also set up a payment schedule where by neither party feels like they are assuming all of the risk. We usually do a 25% down, 25% half way point (completion of x milestone as defined in the contract), 25% completion, 25% after 90 day "bug fix period". If the client refuses to pay at the half way point - then we quit developping.

Of course, we'll always do more work if requested, but if you start letting people manipulate you into doing alot of extra work free, you are going to have a hard time staying in business.

No baths yet
Monday, January 20, 2003

No Baths Yet said:

>>Um.. That's why getting the client to sign off on the >>requirements/features to be implemented is so important.
>>At time of signing the contract, you also negotiate a price >>for hourly work for "Out of Scope work".  If the client adds
>>You should also set up a payment schedule where by >>neither party feels like they are assuming all of the risk.

I agree with all that you state about best practices in fixed price contracts. The subject here is the bidding  for work web sites, where the price levels proposed for a lot of this kind of work wouldn't even fund someone to do a proper specification or project plan.

>> Of course, we'll always do more work if requested, but if you start letting people manipulate you into doing alot of extra work free, you are going to have a hard time staying in business.

Au contraire, I've worked with some companies that pride themselves on extorting free work out of technology people and they DO stay in business. Regardless of the ethics of mistreatment of vendors, there is always some desperate idiot who needs a job who will work for such companies. But I don't think that there is any permanence about the parties advertising jobs on rentacoder sites anyway.

I do know what you're saying and I agree totally. The bottom line is that independents MUST have standards that their clients must meet, or else the client isn't a good risk and the vendor risks becoming a casualty. Being able to negotiate in good faith is an integral part of this standard. This isn't a haughty value judgement either, it's survival. But I think you know that too.

I think the relevant point to be made is, do the rentacoder sites meet a reasonable standard of representing 'good' clients? Answer, probably not for anyone in the developed world.

Thanks for adding to this.

Curmudgeon
Monday, January 20, 2003

$10/ hour?

I won't even get out of bed for less than $35/hour.

Norrick
Monday, January 20, 2003

Well, guys, in Bulgaria the average sallary is about $150/month.
I am earning much more from RentACoder so it is just perfect for me. Of course it is impossible to get $3000-$4000 to justify working for this site instead at a regular job in USA.
There are much BS projects. I have added one to my favorites list. A full clone of WinZIP, skinnable and supporting all the formats the buyer had known for under $500. Of course there were people that had bid on it. All of them underestimated the work or the requirements. One of the bidders had sent a sample project: a simple app in VB that just compressed or decomressed ZIP files (one edit box and one button)!!!
But there are serious projects. The trick is to get them :)

Boris Yankov
Monday, January 20, 2003

It looks like an important skill on these sites is noticing problem-clients and dropping them before committing.  Some seem to realize they're paying bottom dollar and are reasonable about it; others think they're Santa Claus because they have $5.

Tj
Monday, January 20, 2003

There are no serious projects on these sites, Boris. If you work as a freelancer (and want to stay freelancer for a long period of time) it`s ok, but if you`ll ever seek some serious regular job with career growth and so on - what you`ll write in your CV? Work on RentaCoder? Don`t think so.
Projects on these sites are so cheap that people tend to skip code commenting, testing, performance tuning, documenting, specs, etc, etc, etc.
So you may end up skipping all these skills that are required for good regular programming work.

Slava
Tuesday, January 21, 2003

Well, I have worked at a regular job before I start doing projects for RentACoder. So I can write this there if I don't think that doing RentACoder projects is a serious job.
If you look at the Top Coders list at the real top there is an indian who does many small projects. He gets really good money (if he is living in India) but he will not be able to write much in his CV later.
I have different approach. I know I am very good programmer (of course :) ... but seriously!) so having won and finished some smaller projects I started bidding on ONLY large projects. Still they are one-man-only projects. But my last three projects I got are $1000, $2000 and $3000.
It's not like saying I have been a Project Manager of Windows XP but it is still a decent work.
I think and I hope that I will not get a regular job but start working by myself and doing software that I will sell by myself. Something like Joel :)

Boris Yankov

Well, I`m not a programmer, I`m economist with a proper education. And I can surely say that software business is only 20% programming skills and 80% sales, support, marketing, whatever else skills.
And software product isn`t just a portion of good code, but also thorough testing, good user manuals, etc, etc, etc.

BTW, what were these projects about? Could you please provide me with links to them? Just curious:), we are rather expensive for offshore company, so elance.com and other sites are not for us.

Slava

Thanks for the tips, and to Justin for the weblens.org link.  I'm not too interested whether it's financially sustainable; I said it was pretty much for fun.  But people like talking about these things, and I thought it was interesting. ;)

Tj

Ok... to Boris and a few others who say that they do get some work from the bid-for-work sites.

How many projects would you say that you bid on in order to land one paying development contract?

And how many hours would you say you spend on the bidding process for such a group of bids that lead to a paying project?

After scanning these sites for awhile and bidding on some projects and seeing my bids absolutely buried in the volume, seems to me that you'd have to bid on a LOT of projects in order to win just one... playing the laws of averages, that is.

Curmudgeon

See some samples of what I did recently at
http://borisyankov.hit.bg
(I am not very sure that it is visible outside my country, tell me if it is not).

About the bidding...
Well, first it seemed that I have to bid on every bid that I can accomplish and even on such that it will be hard for me. I was bidding at the absolute minimum so I can get a project, finish it and get a rating.
Well this was not smart at all. It seemed that I am just one of the many that can not do that or that seem 'suspicious'.
The first project I got was for $30 and I was doing it over a week!!! I knew it was pretty cheap but I was doing this for the rating. Then I did some projects that were cheap too but for me it was good ($50-$100) for the same buyer. Then I just had enough project to prove I can do the stuff.
What turned to be very successful to me was that I bid only on very serious projects and only on large (over $500).
So I do not do much bidding. But I do serious bidding. If I decide that I will bid on it I do it the best way possible.
Having a look at my last 10-20 bids I realized that I have been overcame by bidders who had bid less.
Serious % of these bids (the expensive ones) are being cancelled.
So the trick is to be a good developer and to find the good buyers :)

Boris Yankov

To: Slava

I know it includes properd UI, good usability and much marketing.
I consider myself to be an educated man and I know a lot about these things. I am thinking to start a particular software product for an year and I think it could be a serious success if done properly. I know that everyone thinks that his product will be success.
We'll see. If you contact me the next year to by a product of mine that will be a success :)

Boris Yankov

Hi,

I guess I could be considered one of those "bottom feeders" I am a single developer from the middle of Kansas that sometimes uses Rent A Coder. Looking at it from my side of the fence...

About 50% percent of the work can be considered quality.

The other 50% percent consists of coders that don't complete jobs on time or up to specs. In the meantime, I have to fix what was done, while my money is tied up in mediation or just held in escrow until I can find someone else to do the work.

So in other words everyone takes a chance at using Body for Hire sites. What I think a lot of people do is ask for the moon and accept what they can get.

Steve

Steve Dude
Monday, December 01, 2003

RentACoder - is my choice. I have 100+ completed projects last year.
In compare to elance - no needs to pay subscription.

Sergey
Sunday, January 25, 2004

I have to disagree, I have done several projects for RAC and I must say that if you know where and how to bid you can make some decent cash, and I live on the US.

I only do projects for RAC on my spare time and I make $40-$100 an hour. I only bid on small projects that I can complete within a few hours and usually the bids are within $100-$500. Sometimes I bid $20-$50 for things I can do in 5 minutes. There is some serious buyers.

Like someone said before it's 80% salesmanship, I have bidded $400 and won the bid to coders that bidden $50! Sometimes I win 1 out of 10 bids sometimes I have made five bids one night and by the next day all 5 have been accepted.  I have brought $3000+ in one month working less than 20 hrs. a week. I'm independent and have several local customer but if I was to work just from RAC I can make a descent living in the US out of it but it certainly is not the best thing to do.

One thing you must do when bidding is let the buyer know exactly what you're going to do for your bid and make clear that anything extra might cost more cause they'll try to screw you.

A coder
Friday, January 30, 2004

I agree that it's difficult to make a project from RAC worth it, but it can be done.  I ran into a project that wasn't even a programming project, it was to install an email server for someone.  Since then, I've done 4 projects for the same guy at my regular $45/hour.  Now, I've landed a contract with him paying $2500/month for occasional work.  You just have to grind it out a bit.

me
Saturday, February 21, 2004

Is there an analogue to rentacoder.com where linux users can donate money to aid driver development etc?

jago25_98
Tuesday, February 24, 2004

i think it's a good palce to get some long-term business relantionships if you can't get it anywhere else... if you work with the same bidder you build a trust-relantionship (if he does good work) and you are more likely to use him for better paid things...

but i agree with the rest of the post

wladq
Sunday, March 28, 2004

I have several online businesses in the nursing industry, including a travel nursing company.  All our business is done online. 

I have used rentacoder many times with great results.  Mostly for graphic design.  There are some very good Indians who do very cheap work. 

Here's my RAC story.  I have met 3 people from RAC who did such great work for me we became friends.  Now, 2 of them work for free for me, whenever I need something done.  One of them lives in India, one in Australia.  Both got their start on RAC and already have moved on and own their own businesses.

I have probably spent over 5000 dollars on probably 20 projects on RAC. 

I am very cost conscious, and know how the coders there work.  I have been ripped off once, by the guy who WAS the number one coder there.  He wanted up front payment, I paid 300 of the 1100 we agreed on and he never did anything, ransoming the rest of the work for the rest of the money!  UH, why would I pay again for nothing? 

Anyway, that is one bad time out of 20. 

You have to realize also, that most of those foriegn coders will sell the same code 50 times.  Once they code it they sell it over and over. 

Also, some people will subcontract and make money.  For instance, I found out about RAC throgh a friend in the web design business.  He actually got clients and placed their requirements on rac for less than 50% of the cost.

He was making almost 1000 dollars a month, and doing absolutely nothing.

So sure, it has it's positives and negatives, but if you know what to look out for, and aren't some clueless "newbie" you can get a good deal. 

And if you're a graphic designer, and can whip stuff up on the fly, you really could make some quick money.

Also, people who don't know how much software should cost, and don't know about shareware, or opensourse software get ripped off bigtime on that site.

Also, it is used for money laundering.  I know someone who routinely does that with RAC avoiding taxes, but he doesn't live in the U.S.

In taking all things into consideration, I think it is still a useful site for both sides. 

You may not have a job in IT anymore, but there's always rentacoder ;).

A. Cooper
Saturday, May 08, 2004

Hi,

i do some jobs on rent a coder from time to time, instead of spending bandwidth to discuss weather rent a coder is or not usefull, why don't you give me an idea of an other job i can get: i can code, no diplomas.

Alex
Monday, July 05, 2004

Hello,
I have came up to this page from a Google search. I know its been a long while since the first post had hit the site but I wished to add something, incase anyone else stumbles into this page, looking for information about RentACoder -RaC from this point- or other freelance sites.

First, let me introduce myself. I'm a coder from Turkey. A university student and my education is not one of the IT branches. I have been coding for about 12 years now and I'm also working as a security advisor as a contractor.

I also worked on one-on-one projects in "real life" which usually I coded the project and the buyer did not pay or other problems as someone has already mentioned above. So one day I decided to search for freelance sites and I found RaC.

Its been almost 40 days since I made my first bid and since than I have completed 6 projects (out of 9 bids I made). And the total sum is about $1200. All of these projects are PHP work and none of them took me more than 4-5 days of work (apx. 5 hours a day).

And for me -being a student- an extra money around $600 a month is good. I believe that if I had the full time to work on RaC projects, I could easily make $1500+ a month which is enough to have a decent living in Turkey.

All of my codes are fully commented and I do NOT resell my codes -or think of reselling- or I really do NOT steal someone elses work and send it to a buyer.

If you say that "all of these coders are scum" based on some "a-holes" you see, I would say "bring it on and try to compete in PHP or Delphi".

Briefly: RaC is a good place to earn some extra cash for coders, especially if they do not want to have problems getting paid for what they have done -I agree its cheaper but you do not have to worry about "will I get my money once I do what I have to".

Doing a work which is done for 50k+ in "real life", for $500 in RaC is not the stupidity of the coder at RaC. It is the stupidity of the buyer in "real life". I know people who reinstall a Microsoft OS and get $500+ for that in the US. And I actually do not care about that. So please stop trying to block other people's way of income and making fun of them, just because they are not lucky enough to find stupid people whom they can sell a "hello world" software for $1000.

someone
Monday, July 12, 2004

Just my two cents. I've come accross these post after doing a Google Search.  Which begs the question: Why was I doing a search for rentacoder?.

I am a single developer and have thought long and hard of using rentacoder (or similar site) to have some of my stuff developed - from my functional and tech specs. I finally took the plunge and opted for rentacoder. I posted my bid. I selected the coder I thought was most competent and we agreed on a figure.

Three weeks into the development, the coder suddenly got cold feet and wants to walk away from the project. The project has landed into arbitration -  and to make matters worse, my original coder has already bid on another project (discarding my project), whilst it's still in arbitration. To make matters worse. I have not been able to access the rentacoder site to view the latest arbitration comments, due to the sites server having crashed over the last two days.

This is not what I expected. All I can say is that Buyer Beware ......!

minime
Thursday, July 22, 2004

[intro]
The worst thing ever to happen to me on RAC was to get alot of work done cheap, which is not so bad since I thought that it will help me get better contracts in the long term.
I had completed 6 projects or so many of which I got bonuses on and landed my first "serious" project : "please rebrand this software and add some minor features" - I thought I could do it in one day, maybe two but the application to be branded was VERY poorly written and was actually a system of several apps of which the buyer only had parts of the source code ... so the final work I did was more then 10 TIMES what the original bid specified - and as a final surprise the buyer draged me into arbitration and never paid me a dime. So being burnt bad for the first time I thought : it's ok I'll land some other projects , get some money ... everything is going to be just fine ... so I did - get paid on other projects. I had won ~$400 and I was very excited about getting paid when I get this email saying I HAD SEVERAL ACCOUNTS ON RAC AND I WILL BE BANNED FROM THE SITE - ALL MY MONEY WILL GO BACK TO THE BUYERS - minus RAC fees and bonuses , which go to RAC - the problem is I do not have multiple accounts on RAC and they have not answered ANY of my emails in which I request that they check again carefully. So after hundreds of hours of hard work I get ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Ranting sure does make me feel slightly better. Thank you for the oportunity.
[outro]

Anthony
Monday, July 26, 2004

I have a problem with everybody that is stating "hey we don't get paid very well in my country so RAC and Elance are great for us" ... you don't get paid well in your country so you take U.S. contracts for cheap ... therefore those of us in the U.S. are now in the same boat as you "we don't get paid well in our country" ... should be go out and underbid in another country and keep this ball rolling.  I imagine that the countries that don't pay as well as the U.S. are less expensive to live in (not always the case, I know).  In any case, consider that you are affecting U.S. coders negatively since now we can't afford to be programmers in the U.S.

American Coder
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I do not know why you have stated that. Many American forms sell software to other countries, thus affectiving negatively local markets. The environment is international, everyone has to admit it. It's only a week since I have been using RAC and it was a successful week. However, I think that there is software and software. Much can be done through the internet and other cannot.

Supreme
Saturday, July 31, 2004

I am closing my account on Rentacoder.  Tried it as a hobby/experiment.  The money I got was low, but I learned a few things, and the few buyers I had were decent people who wanted good cheap work but were honest about it - except for one buyer.  This guy was from India, and he is subcontracting the jobs he gets on his flashy internet website and elsewhere.  Basically, I believe this guy gets free ideas from the bidding process to solve his problems, and if he cannot do the programming himself by using the bidders' ideas, he actually accepts a bid.  But watch out, he will not let you finish the project because the rules on Rentacoder favour the buyer, in that, if the coder makes one mistake, he forfeits all the payment.  The more reasonable thing to do would be to allow the coder to fix the problem, maybe with a small penalty, but that is not how the rules are set up.  In theory, the buyer is obligated to destroy the work that you have done so far, but you know how that goes.  You need to have an honest buyer, or else you have to work perfectly, and follow the rules perfectly.  I realized in the end that you cannot be naive.  If you are trusting that buyers will be reasonable (because everyone needs to act reasonable to work together), you are going to get burned at least once before you close your account.

I was trying to think of ways to make a better, possibly free labour market system.  The problem is that, to sell labour, you need to pay arbitrators to judge when disputes arise.  Or do you?  Unlike eBay where the products are standardized and you have a good idea of what you are buying from the pictures and description, when you buy and sell labour, the product does not exist as yet.  Maybe the arbitrators in the system can come from the population of users.  Anybody have any ideas how this can work?

discouraged
Thursday, August 05, 2004

It appears to me that the dishonest and ignorant buyers on RAC outnumber the buyers that a person would get paid by.

The RAC staff has little incentive to change anything as long as they are getting fees. There is obviously no screening for quality of postings. All RAC cares about are their fees.

RAC also spams the search engines. If you sign up with them, your name might appear in a search result linked with the city you live in, advertising to the world that you are desperate enough to work for RAC.

The good news is there is an icredible opportunity for another site to come along and wrap better services around legitimate projects... things people in India simply can't do, such as being there in person or on the phone during business hours, to make sure the requirements are complete and correct.

For that work that can be done remotely, I can't argue with the lower costs overseas - that happens in a lot of industries besides software. Fortunately, there is much in the software business that is required to get a project done correctly that does not involve coding. The RAC site and many buyers make it appear that the coding is the entire project, but actually coding is only one aspect of software development.

Don't be fooled, steer clear of RAC!

Informant
Saturday, August 14, 2004

Hi all,
I'm maybe one of the few honest buyers that you've mentioned, so I thought I'd share my comments.

Yes, I went to RAC to get some work done cheap. I'm an ex-developer (php, perl, asp, VB6, sql server, mysql, etc), but moved into business analysis.

So I know:
A) good quality code
B) good quality requirements

I then wanted something done for my own online business, and went to RAC simply to save time. If I'd done it myself, it would have taken months just to squeeze the work in around my day job. I accepted an offer from a highly-rated developer in Argentina, so yes it was cheap.

She did a superb job. I went back to her for the second version. And I'll be going back to her for more. If she's busy, or if she can't do the work I want (eg, a Flash application is the next one), I'll use people she recommends.

But some people I've talked about still flinch when I tell them how much it cost me for the two versions, as it's cash out of my own pocket. But still much, much cheaper than a local (UK) developer.

I've not actually sold the software yet (I chose to write the user manual etc, so I'm busy doing that in between my day job), but when I do, I'll also be giving her a good percentage of the sales, since she deserves the extra.

RAC is great for getting in contact with people whom you can have a good working relationship with.

Regards,
Andy

Andrew Peacock
Saturday, August 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home