Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

SQL Schema to XML Schema?

Is there a tool that will take a typical SQL schema (Oracle, in this case)
and do a best pass at generating an XML Schema? 

theITguy
Friday, January 17, 2003

umm.....what?

Hasan Basri
Friday, January 17, 2003

What I did for some DB synchronization tools I had to implement is to read the system tables and create an XML file. I am not sure but it might be possible to dump a XML schema directly from Oracle.

Danilan
Saturday, January 18, 2003

So far, I've never seen an automatically generated xml schema that didn't completely suck.

You're better off hand coding it. After you do a couple, the rest flow pretty easily. If your database design is logical, you can often cut'n'paste parts of the schemas.

Plus, after being at the coalface, it's far easier to then write code that imports/exports xml to/from the database (assuming that's your goal).

RB
Sunday, January 19, 2003

thanks, I've been doing it by hand, and it is relatively straightforward, but the data model is HUGE. i've got some emacs macros to assist me, but it still seems hugely tedious for a data model of non-trivial size. i'm going to grab a copy of "xmlspy" to see if that can help me. anyone used xml spy for this purpose?  the goal/purpose is actually have to produce an XML model of our data for a due dilligence review, etc.... sigh.

theITguy.
Sunday, January 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home