Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Small Business ERP+CRM software

I work for a small, non-profit (100 employees) firm as a Systems Analyst. We are in the process of implementing an ERP+CRM solution. I have been looking on-line (Google etc.) for various cheap/free/open source solutions. Any suggestions/pointers? Preferrably, to implement on Windows platform. Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

Joe
Friday, January 17, 2003

See http://www.compiere.org/ .

Nick Hebb
Friday, January 17, 2003

I'd recommend Maximizer ( www.maximizer.com ) as a comparatively inexpensive CRM package.

Geoff in Vancouver BC
Friday, January 17, 2003

A Freeware ERP package is GNU Enterprise http://www.gnuenterprise.org/

It doesn't look like they've started the CRM module yet, but it's probably worth taking a look at anyways.

jeff
Friday, January 17, 2003

Are there any good relatively inexpensive commercial ones for small business?

Li-fan Chen
Friday, January 17, 2003

Another open source one: www.openacs.org

Li-fan Chen
Friday, January 17, 2003

There are several types of ERP/CRM solutions out there that caters to very specific needs; and there's not really a one-size fit all package out there that works well.  If you install something without first analyzing the use cases then you'll end up having to try to change everyone's behavior and way of working to get them to adopt the system.

I don't know too much about ERP, but in the CRM market we do a lot of custom modifications to make it as compatible as possible with the business processes and workflow of the company.

So before you even go out looking for a package, you're going to need to first assess the organization's need and goals for a system, and answer the what and hows relative to the company's use of the software.

An ERP/CRM system needs a lot of upfront critical thinking and planning before selection and deployment.  The CRM consultants that I know make six digit figures just recommending the right vendors to fullfill the needs and to take care of the problems the company is having. 

HeyMacarana
Friday, January 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home