Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Just had one of those "Fire and Motion" days...

That is probably one of my all time favorite articles.  I had yet another one of "those" days...

Crimson
Wednesday, January 15, 2003

I'm guessing that you're referring to this article:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000339.html

Links are important
Wednesday, January 15, 2003

I'm having one of those years.

Bob Greene
Thursday, January 16, 2003

I've been having days like this since the beginning of this year. Except my days are more like this:

(1) get into work (2) check email, read the web, etc. (3) decide that I might as well have lunch before getting to work (4) get back from lunch (5) check email, read the web, etc. (6) finally decide that I've got to get started (7) check email, read the web, etc. (8) decide again that I really have to get started (9) Screw it, it can wait until tomorrow!

I'm currently at my most unproductive point in history. Maybe it's because I have vacation coming up in a couple weeks, and that's all I can think about. It doesn't help that I have a dvd player on my computer, and I can substitute numbers 5 to 7 with "Watch Spiderman."

No Fire, No Motion

I feel like that a lot. An interesting thing that I've gotten doing recently is having enough somewhat different stuff to work on that if I don't feel like doing one, then I can do another. I'm producing more now than I was a few weeks ago, although no individual project has moved much further.

Mike Swieton

The post encouraged me to read the "Fire and motion" article - I am amazed !! This is exactly how I feel... everybody around work so hard... I seem to hardly work at all, an yet everyone is really happy with me and say that I have a 2.5 person productivity.
And all in all, I sit gloomy at my desk, black thoughts crossing my head - why the hell don't I work hard like them ? So its email - web - email -web... Argh...

And yes, more to the topic, today is one of those days !

Anon

Everybody around you *seems* to be working hard.

Brent P. Newhall

>> Everybody around you *seems* to be working hard.

LOL! Seems to me that the value system in most companies places the most emphasis and favor on those that stupidly spin in circles and visibly sweat bullets. The true pros who know how to get things done w/o breaking a sweat are deemed "bad" because they aren't suffering like the politically game playing feebs around them.

I've known people who worked in macho overtime cultures who would leave their desk light on and their monitor displaying a text editor screen and would go home for the night. This was because they knew that the best way to slip out from all the idiots spinning their wheels w/o a hassle was to make it look like they were just making a bathroom run...

Curmudgeon

"...all the idiots spinning their wheels w/o a hassle was to make it look like they were just making a bathroom run... "

Me and a few friends used to have a joke about working for a place that monitors employees keyboard activity. So we could write a few visual test scripts, and access macros to send emails late at night, and go on six week vacations with no one being the wiser.

Daniel Shchyokin

Sigh.  You just have to get away from those macho hours=work companies.  They destroy your mind. 

I was at an end-of-day meeting when the company moved out of its lower floor.  Above the objections of everyone, the ceo decided it would be a great team-building exercise to spend 4 hours after work moving stuff up and down the two floors.  The first thing was to bring the monitors down.  In shock, I watched as everyone carried them down by hand down the stairs.  I grabbed the monitor cart, loaded it up, and looked pointedly at the ceo, who was trying to show that he too could work as hard as anyone.

One of the sysadmins said, "That's a great idea!" to me.  EVeryone but me had internalized 'hours=work,' so every obvious notion was like inventing wine.

The rest of the night contained the obvious entertainment.  The ceo's brother (brought in as cfo) carried down a huge pane of glass alone down the stone steps, smashing it (the employees banded together to clean the glass dust).  Hilarity ensued.

anon

I have been continuously in fire and motion, for quite some time now.  I have found that if you can keep in fire and motion for long periods of time, you can produce impressive work and still have time for stuff outside of your job.

What worked very much for me was tracking productive time every day.  Without doing this, I could be spinning my wheels for 1 hour a day or 5 hours a day without really knowing the difference.  What happens is that you start to conserve your break time.  Would you rather surf the web at home or at work?  Unless you decided to save money on an internet connection, you'd probably rather surf in your nice comfy chair (or even better yet, with a laptop on your couch).  So you think "Gee, I could websurf now at work and stay an extra hour to make sure that I get enough productive hours, or I could get an extra hour of time at home to do whatever I want, without worying about accidentally coming upon a site that's blocked, having people walk by and realize that I'm just websurfing and wonder why I'm going home earlier than they do, etc"

The problem is that your boss had better look for results, not total time in office or else there's some major misunderstandings brewing.  Which, as far as I can tell, is the main difference between a sustained 16 hour day and the 8 hour workday of corporate america.

w.h.

I've heard the hours=work ethic called 'presentee-ism'. As we're all agreed, hours present at work bear as much relation to work actually done as lines of code written do to software functionality.

Tom Payne

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home