Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

controlling windows box with OS X

Is there a way to control a windows machine with an OS X machine? Something VNC like?

multiplatform
Wednesday, January 15, 2003

Citrix Metaframe.

Or VNC.

Joel Spolsky

If you're running Win2k with Terminal Services or WindowsXP, you can use RDC on the OS X box:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/DOWNLOAD/MISC/RDC.asp

Gil

right, but you have to pay for one terminal services license. But you're going to get much better performance than you get with VNC so if you are willing to pay it's well worth it.

Joel Spolsky

Is that true, having to buy a TS licence that is, if you run it simply as an Administrator connection?

Simon Lucy

what is the cost of terminal services? I want to have my windows box in the closet, and my powerbook on my desk. I do cross platform development so I want the "Best" vs. "Best value." However, only to a certain point. If terminal services licence is $79, that is ok. If it is $1200, that might be an issue.

multiplatform

I believe, but not positive, that you are looking at $1000.

See http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/pricing/default.asp

Michael H. Pryor

Being that the original question was how to "control a windows machine", I don't believe a TS license is required. Both TS and RDS in 2000 Server and XP Pro, respectively, have a "Remote Administration Mode". Setting the TS or RDS to use this mode will limit the number of concurrent connections (2, I believe) and does not require any additional licensing. However, it may only be used to administer the machine - you may not run "productivity" applications on the machine via TS or RDS in order to avoid installing them on the machine(s) from which you are connecting.

Ryan LaNeve

I am no expert, but this is what I figure.

Assuming we are talking accessing a Win2k server here, you will need a Terminal Services Client Access Licence, unless you have a Terminal Services Internet connector licence for the server, or unless you are running win2k pro or XP pro on the client.  A single TS CAL will cost around 75$.
I have no idea of the OSX implementation, but if this is comparable to the difference in quality between VNC and TS as they perform on Windows, I would immediately go for the TS solution.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, January 16, 2003

There's no need to pay for any licenses, if all you want is a single connection to a Windows 2000 Server, or Windows XP Pro (or Windows 2003 Server).

For Windows 2000, just turn Remote Administration.  For the other two, just allow remote connections.

Rob
Tuesday, January 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home