Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

JoelOnSoftware.com Not WinXP/IE6 Compatible?

Hey There,

I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience as the one I detail below.

Last Saturday I finally received my WinXP upgrade discs and dutifully upgraded my home system and installed some IDE software I had been holding off setting up until I had XP.

Once everything was in place one of the first things I did was fire up my browser just to check that my web connection was still running and to see if I could notice any rendering changes between IE5 and IE6.

I checked my webmail account, a few other favourites and then tried www.joelonsoftware.com... no dice. At the time I assumed the site may have been down, but since then every other time I've tried to go to www.joelonsoftware.com or joel.editthispage.com the page never loads.

I can go to www.joelonsoftware.com/discuss, which helpfully tells me that the page doesn't exsist (at that point I was trying to guess/remember the url of the discussion group) and I can go to www.fogcreek.com.

This is significantly affecting my work performance because at work I'm spending too much time checking out the stuff here that I can't read at home (heh) .

Does anyone have any ideas? I could reach the site using my previous setup. I know this is all a bit sysadmin, but if someone has had similar problems and knows a soultion I'd really appreciate it.

Walter Rumsby
Wednesday, January 09, 2002

I'm using the configuration you describe and have no issues.

xp/ie6 user

Which ISP do you use?

I mention this because I use AOL and seem to have a permanent unresolved issue on file with them:  Every couple of months, I can't load some of my favorite sites in IE or Netscape.  Some load, some don't.  They all contunue to load in the AOL broswer (which is IE).  It's a mystery to everyone.

When this happens, I erase all my temporary internet files for both IE and Netscape, delete my cookies and I'm back in business until it happens again.  I don't understand but that's what I do.

Terry Kearns

random groping in the dark: delete your cookies?

Joel Spolsky

"Delete Temporary Files" seemed to do the trick.

Thanks for the advice (wow, I even got a reply from Joel)!

Walter Rumsby
Thursday, January 10, 2002

only thing i can think of is that i know AOL has some weird caching settings.

razib kahn
Thursday, January 10, 2002

I think your problem is AOL :OP

anon
Friday, January 11, 2002

AOL does some really funky stuff to websites. While looking at my pages via AOL over at a friend's house, I noticed that the images showed much more JPEG artifacts than I remembered being there... I concluded that AOL must be proxying the image downloads, and re-compressing them (at lower quality) before sending them down to my friend's dialup. Ugh.

Dan Maas
Wednesday, January 16, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home