Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Another day, another rewrite, another disaster

To be fair in this case it was far more than just a rewrite. Still an interesting post mortem.

http://www.baselinemag.com/article2/0,3959,826676,00.asp

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, January 14, 2003

Slightly off of the software topic, but anything that leads to the demise of exit-polling is OK by me.  I find that it discourages people from voting and alters the outcome of what should be a secret process.

cheeto

I believe that in some places it's illegal for the media to 'call' the result of an election before the polls have closed, as it's considered influencing the outcome. Sounds sensible to me.

Did you also know that the Fox executive who originally took the decision to call Florida for Bush in the 2000 fiasco was a relative of the Bush clan? (I'll get a reference on that later)

David Clayworth

Of course you'll get that reference later because it isn't true.

And the CNN executive who called it for Gore, is that less wrong?

This is too rich...

I've worked on analysing exit poll data for the BBC in the UK. You can't publish exit polls until the polls have closed (10pm on election night).

Polls are typically of around three thousamd people, and have a theoretical margin error of about 3%. In practice, they invariably underestimate the Conservative vote, even if you attempt to control for it!

The US spans 4 (5?) timezones so often the votes are counted on the East coast before the polls have closed on the West coast.

Tom Payne

"In practice, they invariably underestimate the Conservative vote, even if you attempt to control for it!"

In the 1992 election what the pre-election polls failed to ask voters if they were actually allowed to vote! In order to avoid poll tax a million and a half people had gone off the electoral register. Their voting preferences were still taken into account by pollsters however; as you can imagine not many of them said they were going to vote conservative.

By the way, dio you think there will be a conservative vote to underestimate at the next election :)

Stephen Jones

These posts are always interesting to read. As long as it is not my project, I enjoy these reads!

Here is another link.  These stories don’t paint our industry in such a good light..does it?

http://www.idg.net/ic_278286_1794_9-10000.html

In the above, the one on Oxford Health is interesting, since the original system was of course in Pick, which is always deceptive in its simplicity. The attemp was to replace the system in Oracle. (they went back to the old system!).

I personal know of several companies that have Migrated Out of pick systems at great cost and always with cost over runs.

Anyway, the above is a good read…

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@msn.com

Albert D. Kallal

Mighty interesting article!

I particularly love this one:

When it launched a $35 million enterprise resource planning (ERP) project way in 1993, FoxMeyer Corp. was a $5 billion drug distributor in Carrollton, Texas.

Now it's bankrupt.

SAP lied repeatedly about R/3's capabilities, and Andersen's inexperienced staff used FoxMeyer as a training camp...

Still, FoxMeyer was jazzed. Then-CIO Robert Brown told Computerworld in 1994, "We are betting our company on this."

The incompetence of it all.  I'm guessing that many of these executives walked away from the mess and took high flying positions elsewhere.  Where do they find 'em?

Nat Ersoz

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home