Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Jurassic Software

Hi,
I've just had a ten year old (in production) application dumped on me, basically it works fine and has done for over 10 years, but now it's starting to play up intermittently on the new XP servers we are rolling out. It's a huge spaghetti base of code that has no standard error handling. I need a profiling tool that I can run in the application to try to trap the error (we cannot reproduce it)
and I'm finding it very difficult to find anything that's currently available for a crusty old VB3 application.
Does anybody know of anything that may assist (freeware would be good), or any tips would be appreciated.

Basically at the moment the application just blows up, the error message says 'Overload' and then it bales out.

I've got an idea that one or more of the VBX's that it uses chews up memory.

Thanks

Indiana
Monday, January 13, 2003

Other people reading this board might let you know if you can find anything for VB3 -- but I suspect that it is unlikely.  Most serious tools seem to be for VB5 and VB6.

As Joel says, you don't want to throw out this codebase entirely.  But, if you want to continue to use this software in the future, you may have to move it to VB6. 

You're biggest problem will be that VB6 doesn't support VBX controls.  If you can find comparable ActiveX controls (or perhaps new built-in functionality of VB6 will be enough) then you should just have to make relatively minor adjustments to get it up to speed.

Wayne Venables
Monday, January 13, 2003

And it was happy on the old OS? So reinstall the old OS then.

Monday, January 13, 2003

Can't you right-click on an application in XP and set it to a Windows 95 compatability mode or something?

Matthew Lock
Monday, January 13, 2003

If your new sever has a large amount of memory and a high processor speed then I suggest you go with VMware GSX Server 2.0.  This will allow you to run the old software in the older OS on new hardware.  http://www.vmware.com/products/server/gsx_features.html

Anonymous
Monday, January 13, 2003

If "Overload" is a custom application error message string then I would do search through the source code looking for occurances of that error message string, then work backwards from there to see what could cause the error message string to be displayed.

HeyMacarana
Monday, January 13, 2003

Code that is in modules can be placed in VB6's ActiveX DLLs and called from VB3. This way you can use a tool in VB6 without having to migrate the forms. Not ideal but the capability is there.

Rob Conley
Tuesday, January 14, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home