Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

sound/audio app programming

I want to work on sound and audio apps - stuff like Pro Tools, Ableton Live, Cubase, Emagic, etc. Does anyone reading this forum do this type of work?  I know the basic skills required to get into this type of work, but am interested in learning more about what the field is like.

choppy
Saturday, January 04, 2003

I'd look at the ALSA development lists.

Adam Young

I work in this field choppy.

One way many people get started is to download the free VST plugin development kit and use it to start building their own freeware synthesizers and effects until they are good enough to release a commercial one.

If you are interested in working on an open-source project, PD is really where the most exciting work is happening and it works on every platform imaginable.

A great advantage of both these is that you can pick up and infer the DSP you need as you go along. Also, since a framework is already provided you you have a huge head start. Also, both projects provide you with well-architected designs so you don't end up being led astray into a spaghetti western.

X. J. Scott

Java has the Java Media Framework (but if you look hard enough there's an API for every language/platform combination). Reading books about JMF and friends are a great way to learn the high level stuff that utilizes the final doodat you write in a user friendly manner.

-- David

Li-fan Chen
Monday, January 06, 2003

Take a look at Buzz.

http://www.buzzmachines.com/

Buzz is an open source project for an extensible sound generator.

You can code you own generators and filters to plug into the framework, so its a useful starting point with encouraging early results.

Ged Byrne
Wednesday, January 08, 2003

thanks. i guess i phrased the question wrong. I know about most of the open source projects, and what is involved with audio programming. i was more wondering if anyone actually worked within the field and could tell me about working conditions, positions available, salaries, etc.

choppy
Wednesday, January 08, 2003

No, I think you word it okay, we just answered it wrong. I don't think you are asking in the best possible forum, try an audio programming forum for that sort of question.

Li-fan Chen
Thursday, January 09, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home