Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Michael Robertson - Lindows

Just read a CNN article called "Mystery man named in Xbox hack contest"

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/fun.games/01/03/bounty.game.reut/index.html

What do you guys think about him and/or his company?  Is he poised to become enough of a viable threat to Microsoft?

Okay, maybe they're not big enough right now, but they do seem to be a little annoying pain in the %$%^ for Microsoft lately with the trademark lawsuits on the name Windows last year.  It also seems that these defiant acts are getting a lot of free publicity for his company.  Is this a smart marketing move for a small software company trying to displace a Goliath in the industry?

HeyMacarana
Friday, January 03, 2003

I don't want to sound snarky, but when I read this post, one question jumped into my head, and I think it's worth thinking about:

Why does the original poster think that the members of this board are qualified to answer this question?

Seriously, we're all intelligent people who use computers, and I'm sure most of us have at least used Linux and Windows in the past.  We can provide some intelligent thoughts on this topic.  But do our opinions really have enough merit to make the conversation worthwhile?  Wouldn't our time be better served by concentrating on other things?

Brent P. Newhall
Friday, January 03, 2003

I wasn't intending for this to end up as a Windows vs. Linux flame war if that was what you were suggesting.  I was more interested in the ideas others had about marketing strategies for a small company facing a large competitor.  Any small company in any industry dominated by a large market leader will do.  I just assumed that most people who read this website have a business acumen in addition to being technologically endowed.

HeyMacarana
Friday, January 03, 2003

Lindows isn't as interesting as Walmart.  It is entertaining Lindows got their ear.

Tj
Friday, January 03, 2003

I bought a lindows box. As far as I can tell it's debian with KDE

Friday, January 03, 2003

On one hand I think it would have been wiser to choose a more political route, waiting until Lindows is in a greater position of strength with a larger customer base before outright attacking Microsoft.

On the other hand, he managed to promote the publicity stunt that this obviously is. Topics on sourceforge are not covered on CNN daily. It made a headline because it's a shot at microsoft.

If he was true to his hacker roots he would hack the xbox himself, publish the cource code, and stop playing games with a mean tempered rhino that has a history of crushing boys with big egos.

Ian Stallings
Saturday, January 04, 2003

Debian with KDE where you log in as root.

Adam Young
Saturday, January 04, 2003

I became bearish on Lindows when they recently stopped thinking about the product and began thinking about court rooms. That indicates to me that the product sucks and the company lacks focus.

pb
Tuesday, January 07, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home