Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

SAP DB

Anyone any experience of SAP DB ( http://www.sapdb.org/ )?
Looks very promising alternative to MySQL (too primitive?) or PostgreSQL.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Duncan Smart
Friday, January 03, 2003

...plus do you think RDBMSs are becoming a commodity? What, with MS promising to embed some sort of RDBMS into the OS/filesystem, and open source db's becoming very competitive - are db vendors really going to be able to continue to charge huge amounts for software licenses?

Duncan Smart
Friday, January 03, 2003

This DB was internally tested against the Firebird/Interbase for the possible platform for one of the world`s fastest banner rotating systems (this system supports different DBs, i.e. you can use almost any RDBMS with it). The company that sells this banner system asked my friends is SAP DB really good to add it to the list of supported DBs or not. They`ve made test, and Firebird won, I didn`t know what was the test exactly...I only know that they decided not to spend time and money to support this DB.

Slava
Friday, January 03, 2003

Yes, Firebird/Interbase (the only open-source version of Borland's Interbase actually in development since Borland gave up) looks like a good solution... but what about support? I posted one question in the Yahoo mailing list, and go no answer. That gets me worried if I stumble upon a problem after it's in production.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ib-support/

Frederic Faure
Friday, January 03, 2003

One concern I have with SAP DB is the codebase.  When one looks at the source for PostgreSQL or MySQL one sees a relatively well formed and nicely documented database.  However, SAP DB tends to be rather "In House", by which I mean that it has the tendency to include rather large and undocumented kludges, as well as generations of supporting structures which obfuscate the code.

If you are thinking about installing this and you need to support it, think of MySQL or PostgreSQL before SAP DB.  If you are getting a support contract of some sort, that's another matter entirely.

Lou Brothers
Friday, January 03, 2003

What`s your FB question, Frederic? I know a lot of experienced Firebird guys, may be they will be able to help...

Slava
Friday, January 03, 2003

The SAP DB mailing list is very responsive and full of SAP employees. Every question gets an answer and many answers come directly from the SAP team.
And be careful to think of SAP DB as an Open Source Database. It is currently more a commercial database with GPL license. The difference is that SAP spends a whole lot of efforts into developing the database further on but the structures are not really there to integrate community efforts (but they are currently built).
My recommendation: give it a try. It is a very mature database with a whole lot of useful and critical features.

And yes: they are right, it doesn't make sense to pay 10000's of dollars for a relational sql database. And the prices will not only fall but free databases with the base features (and that will be above the MySQL definition!) will rule the market. Enhanced features will generate the money but thats only the enterprise market (who really needs db clustering like ibm or oracle do on commodity hardware?).

Dirk Ringe
Saturday, January 04, 2003

Thanks chaps - I will investigate further

Duncan Smart
Tuesday, January 07, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home