Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Best Organizer/PIM

Does any of you use an Organizer/PIM?
Which one is the best or your favorite?

Boris Yankov
Monday, December 30, 2002

If you don't have Microsoft too much, Outlook 2002 is not bad at all. It does everything I need, runs fast, looks pretty, and syncs perfectly with my iPaq.

Of course, I haven't used anything else, but at the moment I can't think of any feature I'd like that Outlook doesn't have.

Super

I think you are right.
I too think that it is the best.
But lets take it out of the game.

Which one that is not Outlook you consider the best?

I ask this because I know a lot of such apps that are just crap, listing hundreds of not useful features just to look comprehensive. And most of them look bad.

Boris Yankov

I too like Outlook.

But I'd just like to say that Lotus Notes is definately the worst PIM I've ever used, all those menus, yuk.

Alberto

Notes has some great great ideas behind it.  It has many many entries on the UI hall of shame for a reason, however.

Little touches like being able to know that there is new stuff in a folder without opening the folder, etc. are just plain not there in Notes.

Outlook has its own set of problems, most notably the famous Outlook viruses.

w.h.

Two excellent PIMs: Treepad ( http://www.treepad.com/ ) and MyInfo ( http://www.milenix.com ). My boss likes Mind Manager ( http://www.mindjet.com/ ) but it's not quite note-oriented enough for me. MyInfo is nice for doing grid-like things like task lists (you can define custom column dro-downs). TreePad has the most flexibility and the most third-party support, and the largest number of export and import ability.

Troy King

Depends on what you use your organizer for. I use mine largely for sales calls and follow-up. Therefore, I use GoldMine and it works quite well.

Michael Bean

Of course it could be very specific.
I ask you for your comments because it seems that at least half of the products are not usefull at all.
And I have read one or two reviews in magazines and it seemed that the auhor didn't had idea of what he was writing.
Using an software organizer is a tricky one, because it has to compete with the paper one and with a simple paper sheet. If not done properly you may choose the paper.

Boris Yankov
Tuesday, December 31, 2002

I use Natara Bonsi http://www.natara.com/ for organizing my personal projects. It does all of the basics, nested trees, due dates, priority etc.

I use it for the following reasons:

1. very easy to use
2. works on my Plam Pilot and has a desktop app
3. not expensive by any means

I have a feeling it will not be enough once the projects I manage are just not for my boss and I but for a whole team. Since it has no real network group updating other then me beaming the information to everyone so often. But it very well might still do the trick.

I looked at getting some tools that merged all of the independant Palm apps into one monster but they were just to complicated to deal with. I just use all of the default Palm applications and when something falls a bit short I find a better solution.

Jeff

Rather funny.  What PIM do you like.  Outlook doesn't count though.

Crusty Admin

The best PC Organiser by far  was  Organizer which was bought by Lotus, that it was written by ex-Micro Softies in the UK (one being Gary Levell), shows the kind of creativity that Microsoft ignored even in the mid-80's

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, January 01, 2003

I saw Lotus Organizer some time ago.
It was an old version, '97 I think. It looked very nice but had some bad concepts comming from the fact it is old.
I couldn't find a new evaluation version.
What do you think about this Organizer?

Boris Yankov

I use a dead tree notebook.

Martin Schultz

A trialware version of Lotus Organizer used to be available at www.lotus.com/organizer, but it's apparently no longer available for download. Works OK, especially since it syncs up with a Palm.

Frederic Faure

I use Outlook coupled with a program called Nelson Email Organizer, available at www.emailorganizer.com .

It's a fairly cheap 'addon' to MS Outlook 2000 and XP which categorizes emails in a more sensible way than Outlook and has increased my productivity with email since I got it. There is a trial version and it won't affect your ability to go back to Outlook afterwards so download it and give it a try.

James Ussher-Smith
Thursday, January 02, 2003

I've tried a few different types of PIMs, and at this point, my Handspring Visor works best for me.  Now that I'm used to the writing system (which is surprisingly easy), I can add entries very quickly, almost as quickly as I can write normally.

Contacts can be put into categories, and you can display only one category or all of them.  You can sort by different criteria.  It stores every field I could possibly want (except website URL), plus it has four customizable fields (one of which I've customized for the contact's website URL).

The big advantage, for me, is that it's completely portable.  If I'm anywhere at work, or in any room of my house, or anywhere else on the globe for that matter, I can pull out my Visor and look up anyone's phone number or e-mail address within a few seconds.

Also, the Visor has all sorts of other software that adds to its utility.  I wouldn't buy it solely for the contact manager, though that's 90% of what I use it for.

For me, this is better than storing my contacts on a single computer (what if I'm not on the computer?) or a physical book (awkward to carry everywhere and slightly more time-consuming to search through).

Brent P. Newhall
Thursday, January 02, 2003

I have tried all kinds of PIMS. The most comprehensive, reliable and sensible PIM to date has been from Treepad. see treepad.com. the plus and business edition version are the best available for managing project information and anything else in the most comprehensive manner.

Unfortunately after shifting to the mac platform there seems to nothing like it yet, does anyone know of a good scalable information manager with a tree structure for osx?

Solomon JP
Monday, April 05, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home