Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Burning out after a few years programming ?

Is it a normal thing to "burn out" after 2 decade spent programming.

Did you came across a lot of people who simple LOVE to write code and cannot see themselve do anything else ?

I wonder how many people out there have got 4 decade of pure programming.

Amateur
Monday, January 07, 2002

I'm the young one and do LOVE writing code and, right, don't see myself doing anything else ..
I'm optimistic about myself burning out but it definitely depends on working conditions and many other reasons ..

Evgeny Goldin
Tuesday, January 08, 2002

I love doing what I'm doing, and can't think of myself doing anything else.

However, I can see myself burning out one day because of the need to constantly adapt to changing technologies and new languages; as if I will feel that I cannot keep running to catch up in this "race" any longer.

Yoav Rogovin
Tuesday, January 08, 2002

I have been coding for a living for 14 years now. I cant see myself doing anything else. I love it. Im 34.

Sometimes I think that developing code is a crock, but that passes after a small rest or I move onto a new project. I dont feel that I will burn out, but I do notice that I am getting more choosy with what I want to do and the timeframes I am willing to commit to.

Keep well.

James Ladd
Wednesday, January 09, 2002

Anyone who loves coding after 10+ years (or in their 30's) probably doesnt have a family. coding is hard, you must not only work long god damn hours, but you must kkkep up on your OWN time, often.  this means HUGE sacrifices outside work,. ie: no wife, no family.    coding is fine for young people w/o families, but yea, plan on it, you WILL be burnt out,,once you decide to want more out of life than coding.  b/c to be an up to date coder, you must devote 24/7, not some 1/2 ass 9-5'er....beware, coding is NOT a long term profession for most people, only select middle aged freaks and outcasts

SSSSS
Saturday, January 26, 2002

Mileage varies. I know plenty of people still writing code in their 30s, 40s, and beyond (a quick peek at the various age topics on this board will show you many of them hang out here). Some of us even have families. I would take offense at you dismissing older coders as freaks and outcasts, except that you're probably some snot-nosed kid who doesn't know any better.

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, January 27, 2002

I think a very good read on this is: http://www.paulgraham.com/vanlfsp.html

From my experience I can tell that using low-level languages (asm, C, C++) extensively (especially when you do it as a job *and* as a hobby) burns through coders pretty quickly, while I never noticed that thing with High-Level languages.

It's sad to see how many people use interest about computers completely simply because they are burnt out.

Markus Ziegler
Saturday, October 04, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home