Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Do you work this time of year?

Over here in Britain, it's Christmas, and most of us are joining a gym today to work off the 40 pounds we've put on over the last week. I don't see any mention of the time of the year on your website. Are you all still crunching out code at this time of year in the states? The work ethic for countries that celebrate Christmas is pretty average about this time of year, is it the same over there?

Fat But Happy
Wednesday, December 25, 2002

nope over in Singapore I had a half-day on the 24th and full-day's leave on X'mas... no gym sessions for me though

Wei

Own your own shop and you can work any 80 hours of each week you want, Holidays included.

Hell yes.

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)

Non of your [expletive] business!

kick
Thursday, December 26, 2002

A lot of people take time off this time of year, so it's a great time to try to catch up at the office.  I've always thought that (for me, anyway) taking time off at this time of year is a waste of good vacation time.

Vacation is much more appropriate, say, sometime in March when everyone's in the office & barking at you and you're really high-strung and ready to check yourself into an institution.

Jeff MacDonald

Yep, I'm in singapore too, and we also get half day on 24 and a day off on 25..... but I'm working both days anyway :)

Siddharta Govindaraj

I'm with Jeff.  I never take time off around Christmas or Thanksgiving (in the US).  Nobody is around bugging you, nobody in their right mind schedules something during that week, it's easy work. 

Howard

I worked 16 hours on the 24th and 8 hours on Christmas yesterday. Yeah, it was pretty quiet and I got a lot done. Seems typical. Today, we'll see. Also, it's not OK to call it Christmas in some parts as that is considered to be evidence of intolerant western oppresion, etc. Here, people are still allowed to wear religious symbols to work but some companies have policies banning some types of religious expression.

Sarain H.

Absolutely!...I get more done the last two weeks of December than during any two months during the year.

No interruptions. The phone doesn't ring. That guy who always talks to everyone about everything all the time endlessly spewing forth whatever pops into his head ad infinitum (you know the guy) is working his magic on the captive Holiday visitors at home.

I can think. I can complete a three hour task in three hours. Impossible any other time of year.

It is sheer joy to be a programmer!

fool for python

Sarain> Also, it's not OK to call it Christmas in some parts as that is considered to be evidence of intolerant western oppresion, etc.

In other words, some parts are intolerant of calling it Christmas? How tolerant of them.

Troy King

Troy,

Yeah I think it's kind of ironic too.

Sarain H.

I always work on holidays because it's a chance to catch up. But I take a few hours off to celebrate a little. And there were several office parties.

PC

Made enough cash this year to have 3 weeks of vacation, enjoying myself and thinking about life, goals and what to do in 2003.
I can say that it is a great time since other family members are available and spending quality time with loved ones is great.

LuckyMe
Saturday, December 28, 2002

I work for a university, and I get almost two weeks off during Christmas, without having to take vacation time.

I love it.

programmer
Saturday, December 28, 2002

That's as may be, but that's almost certainly going to be compensation for a lower paypacket compared to the commercial sector.

Better than being unemployed....
Monday, December 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home