Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Motivational Speakers

Has anyone gone to see any motivational speakers?  If so, how was it?  Is it all fluff and crap, or did it actually make some life changing differences?  Would you recommend paying to go to one of these motivational speeches?  I've heard that Anthony Robbins is pretty good, but I haven't read his books or heard him speak yet.

HeyMacarana
Friday, December 20, 2002

You might want to read these two articles:

"In Search of Suckers" (originally printed in _Fortune_ magazine, but now available here):

http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,2004,00.html

"Altered States", by Dave Barry (reprinted here):

http://www.lynxfeather.net/nest/humor/2002/alteredstates.html

Alex Chernavsky

Hee hee! But how do you *really* feel about them Alex?

(I agree with you, BTW.)

Sarain H.

Bryan Ferry.

Saw him a month ago in a small hall in Ann Arbor, this guy is the Real Deal at 56+ years old.

I should be so lucky.  The rest of you too.

Woodrow Stool

I've actually found that demotivational speakers like George Carlin work wonders.

Tj

George = The Man.

I thought this was obvious.

Woodrow Stool

Alex:  Those links were absolutely hilarious! It confirmed what I initially thought about motivational speakers.  I think I'll save my money instead of burning it by going to one of these worthless talks.

HeyMacarana

I have the Anthony Robbins Personal Power II CDs.

I find them very useful.  He describes a lot of practical techniques that can be used to effect personal change.

I can motivate and ispire myself, but what I have problem with is the techniques that actually allow you to change. 

How do you actually drop a bad habbit that you are having real difficulty removing from your life ?  Simply "becoming more motivated", "trying harder", may not always work.  And in this case it's time to play smart not hard.  Find out what are the practical steps you can take to remove or replace this behaviour.

He covers techniques like goal defining and describing, visualisation, anchoring positive feelings to tasks.  His mantra is that the how is secondary to the why. 
If you become really clear why you want something, and re-afirm this then you will find a way.

The mind is really powerful, whatever question you ask it it will answer.

"why do i work for people so less competant than I ?"
"why do I never have luck with XXX ?"
"why am I a failure ?"
etc etc

Your mind will give you some excellent answers to these completely useles questions,  ask better questions.

"What do i want ?"  "How will i feel once I have it ?"
"How will I feel if I never go for it ?"

Anyway,  as somone who was having trouble dropping some bad habbits and adding some desired new ones and generally wanting to get  a greater feeling of moving towards my goals in life i found Anthony Robbins a great help.

It's also worth keeping in mind that the best outcome from any self improvement excersise is self improvement, many people look down on the "human potential movement" (as George Carlin Calls it), but are too caught up in scoffing analysis to actually get any benefit, too bad for them.

It reminds me of my Dad who attended a Yoga class and came back with a great analytical explanation of yoga and how it was nothing special or spiritual but merely a perfectly rational set of stretching and breathing excersises.
I doubt he ever actually did any Yoga.

Or the woman who stood in-front of the Award winning modern Art Painting and flippantly remarked "Well Really I can't see anything in it".  A yong man whispered back to her "but madam, don't you wish you could ?".

Ok ramble over.

Adios Amigos

Your brother Braid_ged

Braid_ged

Don't get me wrong -- I'm all in favor of self-improvement.  And if Tony Robbins works for you, then great.  Don't let me stop you.

Myself, I'm a bit of a snob, though.  I try to take advice from people with legitimate academic credentials -- things like advanced degrees and publications in peer-reviewed journals.  Martin Seligman, Ph.D. (at the University of Pennsylvania) and David Burns, M.D. (at Stanford) are two of my favorite self-help authors.

Alex Chernavsky

My name is Matt Foley, I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van down by the river!

Matt Foley
Saturday, December 21, 2002

Bryan Ferry? Oh yeah! Listening to Roxy Music may be a good starter to self-improvement too... may be you'll get more romantic... and then you would spread love signs all over the source code...

Ross

Alex, degrees don't mean a damn thing, especially Ivy league ones.

degree troll

"Alex, degrees don't mean a damn thing"

In science and medicine they mean a lot.

Alex Chernavsky

Only if you believe they mean something.

Incompentents abound... regardless of number or type of degrees.

Buyer beware...

Joe AA
Monday, December 23, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home