Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Peeved too...

I just noticed that *** Word (2000) erases the clipboard when it starts. Which idiot thought of that? Please leave my data alone, thank you very much!

I think I feel better now :-)

Now, anybody know if this can be turned of, and how?

Thanks.

Friendly User
Friday, December 20, 2002

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221190

"The contents of the Office Clipboard are deleted when the current session ends. If you have one Office program running, the contents of the Office Clipboard are deleted when you close that program. If you have multiple Office programs running, the contents of the Office Clipboard are deleted after you close the last Office program."

RTFM

Just because it's documented doesn't mean it's right. I think that behavior is annoying, personally.

If that quote there said instead: "Starting two Office applications on a full moon tuesday and pressing CTRL-Alt-J will blow up your computer and take out your cat" you wouldn't like that, would you? Oh, wait: it's a DOCUMENTED bug! It must be OK then!

When you start up VB6.0, it cleans up whatever you copied to the clipboard.

Need help

that documentation is well and good, but the original poster was talking about having something in the clipboard, and then *opening* Word deletes the stuff in clipboard. 

this would be very annoying if you have a snippet of code or something, and then you need to paste it into documentation or something, and opening Word erases your clipboard.  very annoying.

this has happened to me a few times, and i never realized it was opening an Office app that caused it - kinda just assumed that i hadn't really hit <ctrl>-C or what have you.

nathan

That's ridiculous. I'd consider a bug even.

pb

So *that's* what is causing it. Jeez! I vote bug.

peeved too

i'm sure there are windows human interface guidelines which say 'don't erase clipboard on open'. (on close is easier to understand, though office sometimes gives you the option of saving)

if that's the case, no matter what the documentation says, it's a bug. perhaps a documented bug, but a bug none the less.

mb

Who, didn't know I would cause such a stir :-)

And as some of you seem to have also, I too never realised this was the problem and always thought I didn't hit ctrl-C when I thought I did.

That in itself is enough of a reason to find the behaviour wrong, because it makes the user feel stupid.

Anyway, glad to see it's not me, sad to see it can't be helped. Does anyone know if this behaviour has survived in Office XP?

Friendly User

I meant "Whoh" of course :-)

Friendly User

I just tried this, and it didn't happen to me. (Office 2K, SR-1)

Method 1: Close Word, leave Outlook running. Open notepad, type some text, Ctrl-C, close notepad. Close Outlook (so no office apps are running). Open Word, Ctrl-V. The text is inserted, no problem.

Method 2: Close all Office applications, including Outlook. Open notepad, type some text, Ctrl-C, close notepad. Open Word, Ctrl-V; the text is again inserted without any problem.

(Maybe the text I copied wasn't long enough for Word to bother erasing it?)

Martha

"The contents of the Office Clipboard..."

That quote clearly says *Office Clipboard*, not windows system clipboard. It also refers to the office clipboard being cleared when all office programs are closed,  not the system clipboard being cleared when an office is opened as the original poster stated.

For what it's worth, this doesn't happen on my system.

--JWA

JWA

Doesn't happen with me either. Just copied one of the posts to the clipboard, started Word and pasted it there. Had had no Office applications running before that.

Michael Skulsky
Saturday, December 21, 2002

Michael Skulsky:
"Office clipboard"; not the system one.

in reply to: Michael Skulsky
Monday, December 23, 2002

??  Of course the Office clipboard is cleared when all Office apps are closed... what else would you expect? Do you expect the system clipboard to save its contents when you restart the computer?

Maybe I'm just confused...

Martha
Monday, December 23, 2002

I know this is an old thread, but I was just very annoyed when typing some text into an online editing box (very much like the one I'm typing in right now!) and was doubtful that I had spelled everything right.  I select the text, right-click cut (a big mistake!) and open Word.  Clipboard is now empty.  What about the witty remarks I had just written? 

This is a very silly action for a word processor to take.  Even if it weren't always necessary, it would make more sense to open a blank document and automatically paste the clipboard contents onto that new page rather then silently clearing out my data.

Mike Hughes
Tuesday, March 16, 2004

I have this same problem, running XP with Wrod 2003.

When I have something on the clipboard and I *open* word (which of course, includes starting a new email message in Outlook, as it starts Word as my editor), the clipboard is erased.

Man is that frustrating... and it's new behavior to me... so it's some setting, I just can't figure out which one.

Just thought I'd vent.

full name required
Thursday, September 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home