Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

I'm Peeved ...

Awhile back, Joel was giving away copies of "Visual Basic For testers"

The book promised to help write scripts for Software Test Automation.  I wanted to make a simple program that records-playbacks Mouse Moves, Key Strokes, and ON_EVENT Messages.  I could also do a screen-capture, then automate the process so I could run a script and compare it to the "expected" result.

After being unable to see the book at Barnes & Noble, I bought the book off Amazon.  The book didn't help -at all-.  It's basically a light introduction to Visual Basic - first semester Freshman year Visual Basic for non-CS majors. 

In the testing/automation category, there was a little bit about COM components - how to connect to a database and run a SELECT STatement, and how to use the web browser control to download HTML.

UGH.

I wish I had bought it from BN.COM and could at least return it to a store.  Anybody have any ideas on how to recoup my loss? (like $30?)

In other news, I just bought "OLE DB and ADO in 21 days" by Sam's - Off Amazon.com USED for $1.50, plus shipping.  It's a great book that's definately worth it  for my purposes.  Win some, lose some ...

regards,

Matt H.
Friday, December 20, 2002

Sorry, no suggestion about the bad book...

But I second the Amazon used thing. Just got 2 Winsock books for $18 ea. (rather than $50). Although "used" they were in new condition and included the CD, still sealed. Certainly reduces the risk on an unknown book...

sgf

In rip-off-britain however, the 'used' prices on amazon tend to be higher than the amazon prices.

Wouldn't be so bad on rare or out-of-print books, but check this out.....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672317842/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-0297735-7090035

tapiwa

I don't understand this as nobody is going to buy a used one for more than the cost of a new one.

I have to agree on the VB for Testers book, I got my free copy today (thanks Joel) and it really is little more than an intro to VB. Joels publishers (Apress) must have a few spare copies they are trying to avoid pulping.

Tony E

I bought most of my books as "used" from Amazon and they were almost always 1/2 or 1/3 of the original price. Sure, some of them have annoying pen marks but overall - it's agreat and cheap way for buying good books.

Evgeny Goldin

Ack! If you guys keep talking about how to get cheap technical books, word will get around. And then there won't be any left for me and the ones that are thare will be more expensive! Ack! Please gentlemen, this well-kept secret needs to stay that way for our *own* benefit.

let's keep it a secret shall we

Check out http://bookpool.com

you can get 30-40% off the cover price there, and they are very reliable in terms of delivery.

Only tech books though

Daniel Shchyokin
Monday, December 23, 2002

>I wish I had bought it from BN.COM and could at least >return it to a store.  Anybody have any ideas on how to >recoup my loss? (like $30?)

Yep. List it for sale as a used book on Amazon.com. You may not get your whole $30 back, but you should be able to recoup part of it. Just a thought...

SS
Tuesday, December 24, 2002

I usually use half.com (part of ebay) for used books, CDs, DVDs, etc.  So far no problems.  Stuff is cheap and most sellers do a reasonable job on timely effort and proper packaging.  I don't think there are express delivery options but never really looked deep for such.

Tekumse
Tuesday, December 24, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home