Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Jakob Nielsen

Is it just me or are his alertbox columns getting really whacky?

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021209.html

Daniel
Thursday, December 19, 2002

Any significantly advanced technology...

anon
Friday, December 20, 2002

"sufficiently"

anon

"we'll rid ourselves of those annoying, constantly moving video clips. Instead, videos will appear as still images that play only when you indicate interest by looking at them for half a second or more. "

This reminds me of: "In the future, marketing messengers will be so advanced that whith surgical precision they only sent you the fully personalised informative offerings you are interested in, at the precise time you like to receive them"

Let's try that Nielsen quote again: "we'll be overloaded with full screen video adds leaping over every page. These will only disappear after you have indicated interest by looking at them for 15 seconds or more"

Just me (Sir to you)

Daniel,

When I started reading the Alertbox article you linked in your post, it struck me as so ridiculous that I looked up at the URL to make sure it wasn't a parody someone had concocted.

No doubt, eventually something like Nielsen's predictions will be realized, but his giddy tone is really grating.

programmer

Nielsen's always been a little bit nutty, but in between the nuttiness you could find some good advice.  But lately, he's gone off the deep end.

The Harry Potter article is ridiculous, but the one last month takes the cake - http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021111.html

In it he states that the typical mid-sized company could save $5 million annually through improved intranet design, with a global economic impact would be $1.3 trillion.  Yeeeaaah, riiiight.  Maybe he was using his "Harry Potter" calculator!?

Nick Hebb

Much as I dislike Jakob Nielsen (too ready to shoot his mouth off, and too often lets his personal biases influence his research) - I think your criticism of the last alertbox is too harsh (not the Harry Potter one).  I also didn't like that alertbox but for a different reason - I thought it stated the obvious.

His point is actually valid for once - I for one have long observed (particularly in mid-size organizations) that there is a lack of focus on internal systems.

They spend a great deal of money building (and often duplicating across departments) incompatible intranet applications, which are hard to maintain and are basically a giant sink hole.  And (as he mentions) their primary purpose often is be promotional.

I haven't shelled out the cash to read the entire report or looked at his raw data, so I can't comment on the conclusions he draws with respect to the dollar amount that could be saved.

However, it doesn't surprise me at all that if an intranet team actually paid attention to streamlining operations (ie - how can the intranet make Jane in HR's life easier? or what does Doug in QA actually use the Intranet for?) a mid-sized company would save a huge chunk of cash.

Most people (and by extension companies) waste incredible amounts of time and money by poor planning, poor communication and lack of attention to Human Factors.

Not a Nielsen fan.

It's you. Nielsen-haters are quite boring, imo.

pb

I believe the point with Nielsen are his remarkable comments on technologies. Remember about micropayments? Those comments were pretty wild, yet he qualified it as "the future".

Maybe Nielsen is right, we just don't know yet :-)

x
Saturday, December 21, 2002

Having said that, his latest article is right on target. Its even got pictures! (as far as I knew the only picture he allowed on the site was the little arrow that shows the site hierachy up the top)

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021223.html

Daniel
Monday, December 23, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home