Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

If you could do it all over again...

If you could relive the portion of your life spent working with computers, what would you do different?  Or what was the biggest dead end you followed, etc.

ryan ware
Thursday, December 19, 2002

i would have been a professional skateboarder or snowboarder.

Arturo
Thursday, December 19, 2002

No doubt about it, I would have gone to University straight after school rather than wasting my prime in dead end jobs.

Ged Byrne
Friday, December 20, 2002

Ahh all that day time television I would have missed in the 70's.  The Galloping Gourmet, The beginning of Emmerdale Farm.  The strange drinking dens and the even stranger companions.

I'm not sure I'd change my dissolute youth, to be this respectable for an entire lifetime seems too high a price to breathe.

Simon Lucy

I would not change anything. I am what I am because of what I did when I did it. And I like what I am. This may sound funny, but I really do not regret anything. I treasure all my memories and all experiences I made, even the bad ones. There would have been no shortcut to where I am now, and I like it here ;-)

Have fun,

Jutta Jordans

I would have started a business right away to get financial freedom instead of working for morons.

Anonymous

I don't regret anything, but I would have worked harder to keep my band going (after the drummer left to tour with the Spice Girls!)

Zealot

Spice girls - have a drummer? WTF?

Prakash S

Accumulate MSFT in the 80's.
I'd still be the same person and given the same choices I would stand by my previous decisions, but now the choices presented would be different.

Just me (Sir to you)

I'd have travelled after graduating college instead of stepping right into a job.

Then, I'd have chosen my jobs more carefully rather than taking the first good one that came along. I wish I'd known more about the profession when I was choosing my career path. I didn't have the information or guidance to make good decisions.

I started out in MVS mainframe applications. Heh.

P.S. Planning to travel next year...:-)

Lauren B.

I would have flossed my teeth more regularly, for sure.

Jeff MacDonald

"i would have been a professional skateboarder or snowboarder."

I'm with you there. I'm STILL thinking about giving all of this shit up to become an outdoor adventure guide somewhere.

Mark

Lauren,

Are you saying that starting out in MVS mainframe applications wasn't a good choice?  Why not?

programmer

I take back that 3 months I spent working on a past employers VB super class/does it all framework/cluster fuck. I hated that thing and still do. It had 20+ properties that were all ADO recordsets created in the constructor and probably 50+ methods for various DB related tasks in ONE class. And then after pissing and moaning I still bust ass and get the thing finished withing the laughable deadline/abitrary line in the sand. And to top it all off I get criticized because it has *gasp* bugs in it. If they wanted a programmer that could write bug free code then it wasn't me and they could shove that kludge-class where the sun don't shine. This is the same company that said the last person was fired because he was too smart and didn't concentrate on what had to be done. The way I interpreted that was, he thought for himself and objected to this kludge so we fired him. I packed my stuff and left an hour later.

But to be honest I think even that was a learning experience. It taught me that you should always have a job lined up before quitting. I let my ego get in the way and it effected my life. I was out of work for two months after that.

Ian Stallings

Hey,

I grew up in California and skated a lot in the Cow Town area, but also hit all the usual places that came and went. The Pipeline, Pomona Pipe and Pool, The Big O. Also some of the cool burned out pools and spots out in the middle of nowhere or some run down complex of some sort. You know, like Aids bowl, Nude bowl, or Buena Vista. Then there was Palo Alto! I still think about that place.

Snowboarded in Tahoe all the time during the winter. Not to forget those awesome trips up north to Washington and Vancouver.

Did a ton of traveling on and riding motorcycles. Laguna Seca and Sears Point are incredible tracks, even though Sears is a little dangerous in some spots. Nothing like the West Coast on a motorcycle!

Spent much of High School in a Punk band called European Theatre.  Another genuine blast!

Worked from 90 to 97 for the California Dept of Corrections at CTF (Soledad).  Got to be involved in wonderful things like riots, cell fights, lock downs, mass searches, escape details, fog watches, electric fence testing, and shooting incidents.

And now, to cap off all the past craziness, I'm living in a country (Margarita Island, Venezuela) that's trying it's best to self destruct!

Now in as much as I love coding, I don't regret in the slightest the above mentioned!

Cheers,
BDKR

BDKR

I would have spent more time working on my music. 

I would have been less loyal to companies.

I would not have worked insane hours for someone else.

I would have studied harder instead of slacking off through school.

If I would have done all of this, I would probably have a different set of problems.  That's ok though, because I'm getting tired of the ones I've got.

resistance factor

"I would have spent more time working on my music."

You know it! I have started to get back to what's important here too.

"I would have been less loyal to companies."

That's for sure. When were they every loyal to me? When was my hard work, long hours and tremendous contributions to the firms justly rewarded? Never! That's when.

"I would not have worked insane hours for someone else."

Absolutely. I work insane hours for myself now. Doing it for someone else is just plain stupid unless they are making it worth your while in cash on the barrellhead and not empty future promises.

"I would have studied harder instead of slacking off through school."

Not me. I would have skipped going to school and started my own company that much sooner. A waste of time -- dealing with bureaucracy day in and out while aceing technology from 30 years back just for a piece of paper with a couple stickers on it. If I had skipped school and gone straight to work on my own stuff that I was already working on, I would have avoided having to undo the indoctrination into corporate drone thinking and clonespeak, avoided thinking I had to work for the man because my own stuff wasn't good enough and someone else had the answers (it was good enough and no one but me can answer the question of my own destiny), avoided all the emotional energy that went into being screwed over by the man time and again.

If you are able to create products that people want and are willing to pay for, don't bother with college. i went to one of the best and aced every class I took. It was a waste of time and money. This is not to say that college is a waste for everybody -- non-CS/EE degrees are probably fine and help you become a better person. But the fact is the universities are there to take your money and all they leave you with is debt and worthless training. If you need a degree to get a job that's one matter. But if you are already inventing things that people are buying -- don't stop! Don't waste years in classes while your competitors gain headway against you. This was the big mistake I made - listening to all the BS from people who said "Oh this is such a cool thing you have invented. Imagine how much better it would be if you had a college degree." Well a college degree won't help you if you are already a creative self-starter.

I've been much happier ever since I tore up my degree, spat on the pieces, and set them on fire. I've been able to get 10 times more done ever since I told the man to go shaft himself and set out on my own.

Those of you who want to be mountain guides and skateboard pros! What are you waiting for? Get down to business with your life, get out there and live your life like it only comes around one time!

X. J. Scott

programmer asked about MVS programming not being a
good choice...

I got bored with it quickly, and PC's were the hot new
thing back in 1988. Windows was pretty new...I guess
I wish I'd switched over to PC development earlier.
I certainly wasn't on the cutting edge learning the hot or
popular skills by sticking with PL/I based batch financial
applications. I had such energy and enthusiasm that would
have served me so well in establishing a "hot" programming
career.

I think I rather wasted all that energy and those first years. Maybe if I'd have spent it in other technology (and in a different company) I'd be happier with my career. Shoulda moved to Silicon Valley back in '88...

Like I said in my first post, I didn't have the guidance or knowledge to make a strategic choice in my first job (heck, it was a paycheck, looked good to me!). Yes, it was my choice...this thread is about choices! Once we wish we could change...

Lauren B.

I would have continued boxing after high school, gotten a trainer, and fought professionally.

Norrick

I would have bought DOS and sold to IBM :-)

Me

Well you can't!

So do what you want to do NOW, instead thinking What IF?

Prakash S

"I would have continued boxing after high school, gotten a trainer, and fought professionally. "

I wouldn't have tried to rob Norrick in an alley that time.

Harper
Saturday, December 21, 2002

"I wouldn't have tried to rob Norrick in an alley that time. "

LOL! 

I am not a nice man.  ;)

Norrick
Monday, December 23, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home