Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

unprofessional programmers

This is a weird question, but do any people lurking on this forum have other non-programming jobs, and just do programming as something "fun," on the side?  If so, what do you do?

H1B
Wednesday, December 18, 2002

what if we have another job in addition to programming and get paid for both? are you intereted in us or only the ones who are not being paid for programming at all?

ricky

Yeah, that too.

H1B

Er, I meant, yeah: anyone who is serious about programming but doesn't consider "software" to be their main occupation.

H1B

Do mean "unprofessional programmers" or "non-professional programmers" ?

There are a lot of unprofessional professional programmers, and a lot of professional amateur programmers.

And what about the people who don't actually do any programming at all?

Stephen Jones

haha. Sorry about the bad title! I wanted to know about people who take programming seriously, but aren't "software professionals." Like, a hockey coach who wrote a palm pilot app in his spare time, etc.

H1B

Non-professional would have been more appropriate, though I get your jist.

I was a hobbyist programmer from about 10 years old until I was 27.

I always wanted to program for a living, but found it an incredibly difficult career to get into without qualifications.  It wasn't until certification came along that I was able to get my foot in.

The transition from hobbyist to professional is quite a shock, and I'm still not there.  I have to admit that doing the job has spoilt my enjoyment, although I do get more satisfaction (if that makes any sense.)

Ged Byrne

degree in Finance and Strategy -> mgmt consultancy -> family business -> financial analyst.

'playing' with computers since I was about 10. Am 26 now.

tapiwa

I'm a biologist by profession. My particular field of study involves some computer modelling.

Andy

I'm a technical writer.  I don't program on the job, but I keep my programming skills up-to-date with side projects and use my coding knowledge on the job to decipher the application.  In my case, I need to be able to dive into the code to be able to describe it accurately.

Brent P. Newhall

i'm used to be a swim coach that took up computer programming to pay the bills.  now i'm a former swim coach stuck in an office wishing i could go back to doing what i love. 

nathan

"If I didn't have my part-time performance art income to help pay the bills, I could never afford to support my programming lifestyle." --Jeff Bauer, 21 Apr 2000.

--
http://www.braithwaite-lee.com

Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
Sunday, December 22, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home