Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Total Information Awareness

An interesting read:

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,56860,00.html

wired
Tuesday, December 17, 2002

"...Total Information Awareness project, which aims to root out potential terrorists by aggregating credit-card, travel, medical, school and other records of everyone in the United States, has himself become a target of personal data profiling.". 

Too bad these pranksters weren't able to steal his identity and wreck his credit. 

Some government agencies already sell some private information to private companies. 

Who is going to stop these supposedly secretive government agencies from doing this or something even worse in the future?

one programmer's opinion
Wednesday, December 18, 2002

Dude, its already happening.

The cool thing about a war on terrorism, is that anyone can be the enemy. All they need to do is label whatever you are doing (open source anyone) a terrorist threat and you are zapped.

Because anyone can be an enemy, this war can go on indefinitely.  Anyone who speaks out against all this govt spying will be called at best a terrorist sympathiser, with links to Al Queda... (but I only visited one mosque when I travelled through SE Asia :-( ).

Read 1984 by George Orwell.. written around 50 years ago.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/014027877X/qid=1040211101/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3_3/026-0297735-7090035
"Big brother is watching!"

Actually, I had never thought of it in this way, but Animal Farm seemed to tell the story of the USSR and communism.

1984 might just be the one that tells the tale of USA and the increasing loss of personal freedoms.

tapiwa

From my remote point of view, what happens today in the States remind me of 2 films:

- The Handmaid's tale (1990) from Volker Schlöndorff.
- and of course: 1984 (1984) from Michael Redford

The good news is so far the democracy in the States has withstand all extremism. Let's hope it will continue...

Robert Chevallier

Instead of "let's hope..." why not "let's make sure...".

Hope is importantent for your state of mind, but it doesn't get you anywhere practically. I at least, would not want something as important as freedom be left to chance.

Just a thought...
Thursday, December 19, 2002

As I'm not a US Citizen and I'm not residing there, I can just hope the US citizens will make sure democracy will continue over there as they have done for the last centuries.

Robert Chevallier
Friday, December 20, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home