Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Alt+Space-N ? Win+Down :)

There's a free "WinKey" keyboard enhancer  (http://www.copernic.com/winkey/) which allows one to set any activity to Win+<anything> keyboard shortcut.
Besides launching applications it can restore, minimize and maximize the active window.

Being a keyboard freak, I can't live without it any more.
Launch Total Commander = Win+F2
Launch Winamp = Win+F4
Minimize = Win+Down
Maximize = Win+Up

Evgeny Goldin
Monday, December 16, 2002

Hey, this is totally cool. Thanks Evgeny.

Prakash S

Nice, but it has one drawback:

It's not Standard.

If you get used to it too much and one day for whatever reason sit in front of a computer that is not yours, it doesn't work.

That's also the reason why I use the default keybindings of VS.NET. If I sit on a co-worker's computer (and that happens very often), they still work (if the co-worker didn't change the default).

Stefan Haubold

[[ It's not Standard ]]

Oh yes. My previous team leader had to learn once that on my PC IE means "Win+I" and that was the only way to launch a new browser window (since I removed all other IE icons from the Start Menu and Desktop).
Made him crazy for a while ;)

Evgeny Goldin

Well, ok, when I said "the only" I didn't mean 1000 other ways for launching a browser (like typing the URL in the "Run" or clicking the html)

Evgeny Goldin

You can also set a shortcut key in the shortcut properties without installing anything, but Windows doesn't let you override the Windows key so it has to be something like Alt+Ctrl. I've got Alt+Ctrl+T set to tetris on every machine I come in contact with:)

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, December 17, 2002

[[ it has to be something like Alt+Ctrl ]]

IMO, you can only set this Ctrl+Alt shortcut to the .exe shortcut sitting on the desktop. This sums it all - you can't set it to URL, directory, minimize/maximize and *you have to keep the shortcut on the desktop*. While WinKey keeps my desktop clean and allows me to activate almost any activity with even simpler shortcut ..

Of course, it's not *that* important after all.

Evgeny Goldin
Wednesday, December 18, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home