Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Pronouncing HWND

Hi there!

I'm a coder and systems engineer, and I use English almost half of my time. But whenever I have to communicate computer-technical things verbally with other people, I often don't know how to pronounce things. :-) So I resort to my native language and way of speaking (Finnish), and most other people do that as well.

As you can imagine, there are certain problems when people from different non-English-speaking countries come together. ;)

How do you say, for instance, 'HWND'? I bet you wouldn't recognize it if you heard me say it to another Finn.

YF
Thursday, December 12, 2002

"Window handle"?

Frederic Faure

I say "H wind" (i.e. pronounce the hard letter H and then wind like... err... wind)

I normally pronounce it "aitch - whund". (What's the proper phonetic spelling of that???). The "u" in "whund" is really short, and is only there because you can't physically say "hwnd" without putting it in!

Ritchie Swann

I've always referred to is as "ha-wand"...

John C

"Handle".

Leonardo Herrera

If I was giving some kind of training or support where I had to actually pronounce the type, I'd say Aitch-Wind.  But if I was referring to it in conversation I'd say 'Handle', or 'handle to the window'  depending on the context.

Simon Lucy

This became such a comic issue here that we now call it "Hank". "Hank" was the only thing we all agreed HWND didn't spell.

Walking around you'll often here things like "well, you pass it the Hank...". This is our "chicken-with-lips" barometer now. 

marc

That's why I hated attempting to learn the Windows API. Why didn't they just call it 'Window' like the Java folks did?

Daniel Searson

po-tay-toe.

Another burned out programmer
Friday, December 13, 2002

How *do* you pronounce it to another Finn?

Andrewm
Friday, December 13, 2002

I can't write it in English... In Finnish it would be "hoo-vee-än-dee". :) LOL

YF
Monday, December 16, 2002

wouldn't know it in english, but in dutch it would be (for me)
H WND

(Haaa Weee N Dee)

mcduck
Monday, August 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home