Most amazing thing I have seen on the internet

http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en

Matthew Cromer
Thursday, January 03, 2002

It's got your picture, too!

Johannes Bjerregaard

Yeah, I noticed.

I'm not sure why but this tool stuns me more than the text search tools.  Maybe because I have been using search engines for a long time?  Maybe because pictures have such a magical power on our consciousness to take us places in an instant.

Using this tool I almost feel like I can travel the span of the globe in a second.

Matthew Cromer

if you read slashdot you would have known about it months ago :)  they always post googles new innovations

razib kahn

Who can "read" slashdot?  The most unworkable mess I have ever seen.

Matthew Cromer

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/news/fog0000000108.html

Joel Spolsky

as for slashdot, just check the headlines.  usually the links to the new google developments are there.

razib kahn

It's a great service. But what's so amazing about it? They're not analyzing image content - just doing proximity comparisons. It's extremely well done - but I don't think it warrants "most amazing." Just my two cents.

Now I have been enjoyed their revamped Deja service - groups.google.com - especially because I'm able to see stuff I wrote in '83.

David Geller
Sunday, January 06, 2002

Of course the code is not so amazing.

The effect is what is amazing.  They have basically written a "universal explorer".  In the future you will be able to use a tool like this to travel anywhere and see anything.  Now it is 640 x 480 jpegs, in a few years it will be full-screen motion video.  Playing with this makes me feel like we are on the cusp of something we really don't begin to understand.

Matthew Cromer
Sunday, January 06, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home