Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Changing jobs

I wanted to change jobs sometime back as I didn't like my present organization. One of my friends said that changing jobs every 2 years does no good to one's career in the long term. He says people are the same everywhere. I spent 2 years in my 1st job and 2 years in my 2nd. Currently into my 7th month at the 3rd. But this places sucks. Didn't think that I'd land up like this. Any suggestion/advice? The work has been the same in all the places - so that didn't affect my decision. It was the place(s).

Bob
Thursday, December 12, 2002

Bob,

It depends on what you do and what your expectations are.  However, I tend to agree with your friend.

Why don't you tell us what you don't like about your present employer and want you would like to see/expect from your next one?

one programmer's opinion

Also, Bob, what kind of job are you in?  Programming?  Technical writing?  Management?  Food service?  Job-hopping will have a greater or lesser effect in each.

Thinking about it, this is a difficult question to answer.  How would I know whether my job-hopping has kept me from being considered somewhere?  Nobody would have told me.  This could be definitively answered only by recruiters.

In my experience, just as people tend to hop from one job to another more often, that means less these days.  Job-hopping is seen as more normal these days than it was back when job-hopping was rare.  Recruiters won't have as much of an issue with it.

But I really don't know.

Brent P. Newhall

To tie this into the thread on resume filtering (http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=22354), too many jobs in too short a time is one of our criteria for getting tossed out.

Look at it from the hiring company's POV.  It's very expensive to recruit and hire new employees.  Therefore, the hiring company would like to have to go through this process as little as possible.  Therefore, the hiring company wants people who are going to stay in the job for a long time.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the people who average 2-3 years per job.  However, I have seen resumes with three pages of job experiences (> 20 jobs) in 3 years!  These resumes get passed around and laughed at.

A lot of doing a good job (at least, in my 15 years of experience) is knowing the problem domain, that is, the business side of things.  How can you possibly contribute anything useful in only 3 months?  Unless you're just building the same shopping cart over and over and over...

Whatever

Too many jobs may make you appear unstable.  Then again, only people who had no marketable skills to speak of, or those who have zero personaility/interview skills were the ones who were stable during the boom.

Seriously, who would stay in some crummy $70k job when $200k contracts were growing on trees??

In fact, if I were hiring, I''d redflag anyone who DIDNT jobhop in the last 5 years as suspect.  Either they were idiots who didn't not know how to capitalize on an opportunity, or just plain lazy. 

Bella
Friday, December 13, 2002

Or they were busy making money for their employers.

Friday, December 13, 2002

Or "opportunity" meant more than just a fat paycheck to them....

ODN
Saturday, December 14, 2002

Or they didn't want to give up an interesting job for a boring one that paid more. Most contract jobs want you to do something you already know how to do... it's not about intellectual growth. Whereas, many employers will take more chances with an existing star employee.

anon for a reason
Sunday, December 15, 2002

Or they stayed with a job where they were still growing, still being well compensated, and passed on that new .com that promised huge stock options and is now out of business, laid off all its employees, and has worthless stock options.

GML
Wednesday, December 18, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home