Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

jet, pick style DB library for Java?

I'm looking for a compact somewhat SQL compliant database that I can distribute as a .war file to run under tomcat. I don't know that much about windows programming, but I believe I am looking for something like the "jet" and "pick" databases described for windows, but written in Java. Ease of distribution and smallness are more important than robustness.  Any suggestions?

raven
Wednesday, December 11, 2002

Have you tried hsqldb?

http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/

Daryl Oidy
Thursday, December 12, 2002

that looks like what I need. Thanks!

raven

If you are doing multithreaded things HSQL may not work for you. 

As far as I know the latest version only supports read uncommited transaction isolation.  I don't think this is a problem if you only have one thread.  With several threads concurrently accessing the database it is possible that you will read bad data.

Also, I don't think other transaction levels, such as read commited, are going to be comming soon.  We asked the team about it, and the impression we got was that it would take a complete rewrite to support.

Adam

i'm trying it out right now. i think it will work for the application i'm using it for (1 time data collection, then people come back to read the data). the other option is "flat file" which makes development much more tedious.

raven

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home