Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What is zlib?

Type "zlib" into Google and hit "I feel lucky".  You'll get the gzip.org web page. 

Nice, simple, complete.  My words.

"A Massively Spiffy Yet Delicately Unobtrusive Compression Library (Also Free, Not to Mention Unencumbered by Patents)"

Their words.

HOWTOs in abundance.

=====
I'll write my treatise on complexity another day, but for now, I'm more than happy to let zlib be the poster boy for Unix confusion. 

Nat Ersoz
Wednesday, December 11, 2002

You get what you pay for....

It might have been unheard of "you get what you pray for"....yeah!

Patrik, religiousness is the answer. Yeah!

And....

Patrick will do nicely as poster boy for Windows advocacy.

Nat Ersoz

>Patrick will do nicely as poster boy for Windows advocacy.

Im good looking too. Not to say sexy. Muhahaha...

I do Oracle stuff on a day to day basis. Pay more get mor right? ... Im the most avid "pay-less-guy" but then again, if someone give you the coolest software for $0, who are you to complain? ...  YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

I wish somebody had more money.

Let me tell you Nat,

I wish somebody had more money.

is really,

respectfully yours, Patrik.

Patrik, are you drunk, suffering from malarial fever,  and making posts from a range rover with a flat tire, on safari? Your recent postings have been consistently incoherent. Stop and take a deep breath.

burnedout

>Patrik, are you drunk, suffering from malarial fever,  and
>making posts from a range rover with a flat tire, on
>safari?

Spot on.

My post have been incoherent all along. Guess you can blame either a flat tire or flat out stupidity ;-)

Mail me with flames :)

Patrik

Getting back to the topic:

The point is not that one *can* easily find information about zlib or other Unix-heavy tools.  The point is that, under Windows, there's less of that sort of thing to track down, and less of a chance you'll have things to track down when working with installation tools.

Not that Windows doesn't have its own flaws.  But with Unix, many installation utilities require *tons* of knowledge.  Which is not necessarily a bad thing; it's a trade-off.  The point is that there *is* a lot of complexity.

Brent P. Newhall
Thursday, December 12, 2002

I've used zLib on two commercial projects.  In both instances, it exceeded my expectations.  Compiled flawlessly.  Performance was very good.  No bugs found.  If you're not comfortable with bytes and buffers, you might look for a friendlier commercial ActiveX control or some such.  For easy, efficient compression that you can statically link, you can't beat zLib, though...

Bill Carlson
Thursday, December 12, 2002

>>>
Not that Windows doesn't have its own flaws.  But with Unix, many installation utilities require *tons* of knowledge.  Which is not necessarily a bad thing; it's a trade-off.  The point is that there *is* a lot of complexity.
<<<

I wouldn't say it requires "tons" of knowledge, just a shift in how things are looked at and done. Now I'm not sure what you mean by installation utilities so do forgive if I'm mistaken here.

In the 'nix world (and I'm coming from an open source view point, not to mention there is a lot of growth here) there is RPM, source, and then another one used by Debian that I can't remember the name of.  That's it! Now of couse, when you talk about source, then there is the "./configure" "make" "make install" routine that can blow the mind of someone fresh from Windows, but you've got to consider the community.

Otherwise, it can seem daunting when coming from an environ that has hidden much of the process from you.  I was blown away when I first started toying about with Solaris, then Linux. The first time it booted after the FIRST successful installation, I was a little dumbfounded to not see a "Now booting Red Hat for the first time" message of some sort, but instead, a black screen with lines of arcane messages scrolling from bottom to top. 

Also, there is logic to the directory structure. It's just not obvious at first glance. Perhaps /etc should've been named /conf or something.

Cheers,
BDKR

BDKR
Saturday, December 14, 2002

Perhaps, but the last thing you want to do now is make that change!  It may not be the best system, but at least the conventions do exist and are reasonably well adhered to.

John
Monday, December 16, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home