Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Best Data Structures & Algorithms Book?

After 20 years of writing buckets and buckets of code, I've just gone back to school to finish my undergraduate CPS degree.  Yes, I'm that old guy in the back muttering and leering.

One of the first courses I took was "Data Structures & Algorithms", and I nearly had my ass handed to me in the course, even though I was already very familiar with most of the material.  One thing that slowed me down was The Book, which I thought was very poor - the code examples in particular seemed to be written by someone who was trying to show off in C++, and not demonstrate the fundamentals of a particular algorithm.  Confusion, pain, fear and loathing.

I have a large technical book library, but there is no way this particular textbook is going to be part of it.  Yet I see the value in a robust and useful Data Structures & Algorithms book to have on hand, which so far I have never had around.  It is time to correct that error.

Suggestions for such a book?

BTW, replying "Just learn the STL" does not count for any points here.

Many thanks ...

Woodrow Stool
Tuesday, December 10, 2002

What's the textbook? I'd hate to accidentally recommend the book you already want to put a bullet through.

Chris Tavares

I think this topic came up here recently.  Anyway, be sure to check out Data Structures: Form and Function by Harry Smith. Linked lists, sorting, searching, parsing, b* trees, etc.

anonymous

Seems to me the cannonical tome for this is:

Introduction to Algorithms, 2nd edition
Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest
ISBN: 0262032937

Anonymous Coward

Check out the 'Algorithm Reference' thread (about 23 under this one) - it's also has some good references.

Mike Wainwright

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home