Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What IS that picture on home page?

OK, I give in. I've been waiting for over a week for an explanation of the picture on the main page.

Anyone care to explain?

HeWhoMustBeConfused
Monday, December 09, 2002

I've asked several questions along this line and have been ignored.  Among them, why the name fog creek?

Are you asking about the 'Where the wild things are' balloon (in which case I would guess it floated by the office window and was too cool to let pass unrecorded) or the Dog walker?

Brad Siemens

The balloon.

I'm guessing it is probably part of a parade or celebration, and my curiousity has got the better of me.

HeWhoMustBeConfused

There picture is of a balloon of a monster from the children's storybook Where The Wild Things Are ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060254920/qid=1039491728/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-6191027-1516941 ).

The caption/ALT tag says it was taken at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade which must have happened in New York last Thursday.

Walter Rumsby

If you hold the mouse cursor over the photograph, an explanatory note appears.  I forgot the name of those little pop-up thingies.

*ouch*

*laughing at self*

Thanks for reminding me about how to use a browser :)

(but a caption would have been more useful than an alt-tag to the browser-and-or-motor-skill-impaired ... *grin*)

HeWhoMustBeConfused

For those outside the US, the annual Thanksgiving Day Macy's Parade, held in New York City, was originally designed to be the kick-off for the Christmas holiday shopping season.  It features huge floating balloons of popular toys, cartoons, etc.  They float down the street, with teams of people holding ropes to keep them on course.

It is on TV nationwide, and widely watched by kids while Mom and Dad are getting Thanksgiving dinner ready.

Contrary Mary

Let the wild rumpus begin...

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, December 10, 2002

<quote>
but a caption would have been more useful than an alt-tag to the browser-and-or-motor-skill-impaired
</quote>

Not to mention that some browsers follow the HTML4 standard and do not show the alt attribute as a tooltip. The title attribute should be used for tooltips, because it does not break the rules and works in all browsers (except NS4).

Jan Derk

I thought it was a bug that had escaped from Fogcreek :-)

"I've asked several questions along this line and have been ignored.  Among them, why the name fog creek?"

Brad - loook at Fog Creek's phone number.

Norrick

The phone number?  I don't get it.  Are we to assume that the company was assigned a random toll-free phone number, and the letters happened to spell out "FOG CREE", so they added a "K", and came up with the name of the company?

Ahhhh Bach!

The fat man walks alone...  The fat man walks alone!

Brad Siemens

> (but a caption would have been more useful than an alt-
> tag to the browser-and-or-motor-skill-impaired ... *grin*)

no, it's just improper use of the alt attribute. The alt text should have read "Balloon of a monster from the children's storybook Where The Wild Things Are", and the current alt text should have been the title instead

BTW, to automatically have an image's title as its caption, you need to put something in these lines in your default CSS sheet (you say your browser doesn't support user-defined CSS sheets? change browser! Opera 6 is great, and 7 will be simply the best):

img:before{content: attr(title) "\A"}

The "\A" is a line break - remove it if you don't like the effect

KJK::Hyperion

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home