Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Success in Life =

This one is getting buried in the intelligence post, so I thought I pull it up to the top.

How do you class success in life.

Is it money?

Does the answer vary depending upon your location in the world?

Personally I class success in life = being free to choose my own path.  Money is important you need it to be able to make your own choices.  If your job is destroying your soul, money allows you to hand in your notice.

Ged Byrne
Monday, December 09, 2002

Babes.

M.

A good measure of

Happiness
+
money
+
material things
+
good health
+
location of your choice/ being in the city/place where u want to be
+
finding satisfaction in doing current job
+
the feeling of 'Having arrived'
=
Success

Prakash S

Ged,

> Success in Life = Ged Byrne (2 replies)

I misread the topic and were about to congratulate you on being so humble ;-)

Patrik

Well i feel the best defination is as below :

"Success is _Getting_ what you _Want_ and Happiness is _wanting_ what you _Get_"

So it really boils down to your own needs and desires to achieve goals & targets or being satisfied with whatever you get / achieve in life !

Hope it doesn't sound too philosophical ? :-)

Shailesh

Shailesh,

I like your thinking.

Ged Byrne

Of course Shailesh should have given credit where credit is due.  I think that quote belongs to Carnegie???

There's a new field called "positive psychology" that deals with exactly this subject -- namely, how to get the maximum satisfaction out of your life.

Traditionally, psychology has been preoccupied with helping people who are in serious distress -- moving people up from minus-six to minus-one.

In contrast, positive psychology has loftier goals:

==================

In his new book,  _Authentic Happiness_, psychologist Martin Seligman argues that overall lifetime happiness is not the result of good genes, money, or even luck.
Instead, he says we can boost our own happiness by capitalizing on the strengths and traits that we already have, including kindness, originality, humor, optimism, and generosity. He has christened the discipline "Positive Psychology," arguing that we would be better off building on our own strengths rather than bemoaning, and, hence, trying to repair, our weaknesses.

By frequently calling upon their strengths, people can build up natural buffers against misfortune and negative emotions, he said.

[...]

In the last 50 years, statistics have show that we are less happy as a people.

"While our quality of life has increased dramatically over that time, and we've become richer, we're in an epidemic of depression," Seligman said. "Depression is 10 times more common now, and life satisfaction rates are down as well."

Seligman argues that the new science he writes about is shifting psychology's paradigm away from its narrow-minded focus on pathology, victimology, and mental illness towards positive emotion, virtue and strength, and positive institutions that increase people's happiness quotient.

========================

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/GoodMorningAmerica/GMA020904Happiness_feature.html

Alex Chernavsky

Skiing black slopes and climbing severe overhangs, and not falling in either case.

s e x

tapiwa

For me it is:

- a social network that I belong to and feel comfortable in (which can be a permanent relationship or marriage with children as well as a group of close friends, just people I can count on)

- a job where I feel appreciated and earn enough money to live more or less "careless" (meaning I can by a new book, CD or even a new computer without cutting down on my food budget for weeks to come)

- a home that offers both, freedom and security (meaning, living in a country, a city, a neighborhood  where I can speak freely, travel as I want etc.)

- enough self confidence and curiousity to be able to throw all the things mentioned above overboard and start all over again

Have fun,

Jutta Jordans

making all the way to death.

fool for python

Family, health, personal growth for me and my relatives. In that order.

Everything else just add to the sum.

Leonardo Herrera

Beautiful children and the means to easily provide for them, and the capability to produce interesting, creative things that are valued.

Must be a manager

Success in life is getting yourself prepared for what happens after you die

T.S.

There is no success in life.  It is a false dichotomy.

>>"Success is _Getting_ what you _Want_
>>and Happiness is _wanting_ what you _Get_"

Isn't that another way of saying "Reduce your expectations to the point at which they are already met"

I think that success is meeting two fundamental needs to your satisfaction:

1. the need to feel safe
2. the need to feel useful.

Andrew Reid

Nice perspective Andrew!

Prakash S

Isn't that another way of saying "Reduce your expectations to the point at which they are already met"?

Not quite, it's saying "Success is happiness"

Arguably true, I suppose, if I was more successful I'd probably know.

Guru

I thought the answer was that the person with the most money when they die wins.

Andrew Simmons

Money + Chicks = Happiness

Money - Chicks = William G

wise dude

I'd like to be smarter and fitter and a bit richer, although I'm not complaining.

You never get there

Just curious, there's seems no answers from you that somehow relate to religion or God/Jesus/Allah/etc or heaven/afterlive/nirvana/etc  whatever.
Why is that?

Gibbo

Because it's not important.

You are meat

I've always envied people who are able to believe in God or in any other "higher life form". They just have to follow certain rules and then they will be rewarded. They don't have to reflect their life and they're certain that they will see all their dead friends again.

Unfortunately, I cannot believe in such things. It would certainly give my life more meaning.

Nevertheless, I'm very happy with my life. I have a wonderful wife, I have nice friends and family members, I earn enough money and I even like my job. :-)

Maybe life gets a meaning with children in my case...

The Meaningless
Tuesday, December 10, 2002

Always know what your right hand is doing when going towards your trousers, especially in a public place.

Always check the bill for service added

Don't confuse the train you miss with the life you lead

Life is not a box of chocolates, unless your name is Cadbury or Hershey.

Guilt is something we learn,  so is pleasure; not confusing the two is a Good Thing.

Not all bodily excretions should be played with.

Arguing with a teacher is a waste of time, they think you are 6, they look 17 to you.

Always looking on the bright side of anything is likely to lead to a punch on the mouth.

The formulation of lists is a sign of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, stop counting how many things there are in the world.

Reality is not something we vote on, it voted on us already.

Conform unless its more fun not to.  Note this does not include the interpretation of colour in traffic signals.

When playing Monopoly, always choose the dog, everyone else will hate you but pretend it doesn't matter.

Don't confuse having the right to vote with the idea that the vote matters a damn.

The compiler is always right.

Developers work on the fastest, biggest most advanced machines available in the company.  Except for the CEO and the blonde in Marketing.  Make friends with the blonde, the CEO is always out.

Continued in "My Life In Short Sentences, No Remission" Gump Press, Nebraska

Simon Lucy

for me it is always being cheerful and enthusiastic,to be able to pursue my interests ,sense of achievement in whatever work being done,nice home,secured life .....etc

mrc

For me, it's just being happy.

Ivan V.

I too am surprised that there aren't more answers relating to religion.  I don't see how anyone could dismiss religion as not important.  What happens to me for eternity is certainly important to me!

>> They just have to follow certain rules and then they will
>> be rewarded.

Just to clarify this common misunderstanding, not all religions teach that following rules gets you a reward.  For example, Christianity teaches that no one can follow the rules perfectly and no one can earn their way to heaven by following rules.

If you believe that life does not end when you die, it totally changes the original question.

T.S.

Thank you, T.S.

I'm also struck by how many of these posts concentrate on personal success, ignoring corporate success.

I would say that success in life means making the world a better place.

Brent P. Newhall

"Christianity teaches that... no one can earn their way to heaven by following rules."

Oh?  That's not the way _I_ read the Bible.  After all, what are the Ten Commandments, if not a bunch of rules?  And Jesus laid down a rules in the New Testament, too, though they weren't really condensed and codified together in the same way as the Commandments.

In any case, I don't believe in any of that stuff.  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  The evidence in favor of God is flimsy, indeed.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/087975124X/

J. D. Trollinger

Hi J.D.,

Yes, you are right that there are rules in the Bible.  However, my point was that the Bible teaches that none of us follow all of the rules perfectly (Christians or non-Christians).  Christianity is about forgiveness from God, not earning rewards based on good works.

That's all I was trying to say.  I hope this clears up the misunderstanding.

T.S.

I used to have a rock solid faith, but it just wasn't maintainable.  Back then I was mostly miserable, though I had become very good at hiding it.

I keep trying to get some faith back, but I keep finding that I'm better off (and happier) without it.

Ged Byrne

Note that faith is often twisted by many people for their own ends, and that this has spoiled far too many peoples' faith.

It's useful to separate one's own faith in a Higher Power from other people's beliefs.

For example, I've struggled with the fact that my own faith practices have been based largely on what I thought those of my faith should do.  It's very easy to put faith and religion in a box and say "this is faith" then deny it.  But faith and religion are much, much bigger than that.

For more on this topic, I can highly recommend J.B. Phillips' little book, "Your God Is Too Small."  Very enlightening.

In fact, I think that having an integrated view of faith and religion and a view of existence beyond our physical life may be one of the things that defines success in life.

Brent P. Newhall

if I mention hitler now, is the thread automatically over?

godwin

Success is achieving whatever you chose to define success as!

Brad Siemens

reference to Hitler noted, however in order to stop a thread invoking Hitler, one has to point in an obvious manner at another participant and claim that he is the modern personification of such.

Simon Lucy

As I mentioned above.

We are meat, even our brains, so it's no good trying to make that lump of meat in your head have deep spiritual thoughts right? It's meat. Meat cannot fathom a God, it exists to be eaten, or to rot if it goes off.

You are meat.

You are meat

But you haven't defined what "meat" is.
For me, faith is the certainty that I'm part of something infinitely amazing. Each day I have a chance to learn a little more about it (whatever it is).
Having faith means unlimited possibilities. If I thought that our human brain were capable of understanding the world, then my faith would be in other people, in experts. Instead of trying to follow my own spiritual direction, I would follow human advice and conventions. I may not be any happier than an atheist, but I might have a more independent and creative approach to life.
The other advantage is that faith gets you through difficult times without experiencing despair. I feel I have a spiritual purpose and that I'm supposed to learn something from each obstacle (and I have seen enough examples of this in my life to be convinced).

PC

JD said:
" In any case, I don't believe in any of that stuff.  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  The evidence in favor of God is flimsy, indeed. "

If there's no God then who create the "rules"? Let's say we can have the grand-unified theory or whatever, who create that rules and make sure that it works? at the very least the first time this universe was created. Us human can only find it out, learn about it afterward.

don't believe or don't care?

To laugh often and much
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
And endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

pl

Success is getting more than 100 responses to your post.

Wednesday, December 11, 2002

That´s easy.  Just start another H1B thread. :-).

Ricardo Antunes da Costa

If there's no God where did the rules come from? Where did the universe come from? And other such variations are easily answered with 'Where did God come from?'

You simply replace one unknowable with another.

The existence or absence of God is impossible to either know or prove in any absolute sense. So it's down to what you can deduce from the world around you. Personally I see nothing to suggest the existence of God and an awful lot to suggest he's just another myth.

Mr Jack

The only honest measure of your success is what you are doing compared to your true potential
--Paul J. Meyer

MODIG

"The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference."

-- Evolutionary biologist (and arch-skeptic) Richard Dawkins
http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/dawkins.htm

Doubting Thomas

Only he is successful in his business who makes that pursuit which affords him the highest pleasure sustain him.

Henry David Thoreau

Tony E

Mr Jack:
The existence or absence of God is impossible to either know or prove in any absolute sense. So it's down to what you can deduce from the world around you. Personally I see nothing to suggest the existence of God and an awful lot to suggest he's just another myth.

So are you atheist, agnostic, or indifferent?

don't believe or don't care?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally I see nothing to suggest the existence of God
-------------------------------------------------------------- d b o d c

Having observed a spider spinning its web, and having watched my Son come into the world I have no trouble believing in the existance of God.

The problem I have is see how this might affects me.  On the whole it seems that we have rather underestimated God and overrated our selves.

Ged Byrne
Thursday, December 12, 2002

Having seen my fair share of spiders and children myself, I believe in Charles Darwin.

I define success as making the world a better place to the best of my ability to do so, to have fun while doing it, and to do the best that I'm able to.

If people think that they need religion to be successful that's fine, but I find people hinting that you need it to be successful as supremely offensive. I live my life as best as I can, I'm sure far better than many people who 'believe'. Why they should be judged as more successful merely for their act of believing, something that requires no effort or commitment on their part whatsoever, is beyond me.

Lach

Lach, Hitler thought he was also making the world a better place, to the best of his ability to do so. Just because you think you are doing your best, doesn't make you unlike Hitler.

How was that? Thread over? Please??

godwin

Yep, and I'm trying to extinguish segments of the population too.

If you hate the thread so much then why don't you shut up and stop viewing it?

Lach

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Having seen my fair share of spiders and children myself, I believe in Charles Darwin.

Yes, me too.  However, I find Natural Selection difficult to get poetical about.  (Tennyson's stuff about Tooth and Claw was quite good, even though he did believe in creation)

When I feel the need to poetical I find God a rather useful. 
However, the engineer in me requires the general theory of evolution.

I think it works like computer languages.  Its all about having the right tool for the job.  I hate myself for being so cynical, but I can't bring me self to commit to either.  Sometimes I convice myself its a good thing.

Ged Byrne
Friday, December 13, 2002

"I find Natural Selection difficult to get poetical about"

Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins wrote a whole book about science and poetry.  It's called, "Unweaving the Rainbow":

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0618056734/

Friday, December 13, 2002

Natural selection is beautiful in its way. God/nature only seems cruel to us because of our limited perspective.

PC
Saturday, December 14, 2002

In many domains in life, success and satisfaction depend on knowing which rules to follow and which strategies to pursue. This is true for many tasks in the social and intellectual domains, such as raising children, constructing a solid logical argument, or designing a software application.

one programmer's opinion
Sunday, December 15, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home