Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Bella.  What's the source of your negativism?

Hi Bella,

As the subject line says, I want to know what the source of your negativism is.  Were you an IT professional who was unfairly exploited?  Did you become depressesed or disillusioned with the industry somehow? 
You make many negative posts about IT in general as if you have experience in the area,but  I've never read any posts about actual personal experiences of yours in the industry.  So I was hoping that you sharing some of your personal experiences (as much as you're willing) would shed light on your situation.  Also, if were in the industry could you tell us if you're still in the industry?

Thanks,
I.P.

Interested Party
Monday, December 09, 2002

Good question.

pb

Interested Party,

I'm not defending Bella, but how about providing some examples for us? 

While I don't agree with many of the opinions Bella has expressed here in the past, I also haven't read that many negative posts from Bella about IT in general. 

I have found that most of Bella's negative comments (at least the ones I have read) seem to be directed at programmers.  In other words, he doesn't seem to think that most software developers deserve to be paid a decent wage and that a lack of respect towards developers by those who hold/manage the gold is somehow a good thing.  Of course, I don't post here that often so YMMV.

one programmer's opinion

While Bella has on occasion posted something thought-provoking, most of his posts seem to be cynical sniping. Nothing more; nothing less.

Another programmer's opinion

While IMHO Bella bordered trolling in his earlier posts I find the latter ones provoking but acceptable. But maybe I just getting used to them.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that it's a good thing to have a wide range of opinions and characters on a forum. It keeps the discussion alive and even improves the quality. Imagine a discusion with a group of people all thinking exactly like you. Wouldn't that be totally and utterly boring?

Jan Derk

Why do some of you keep referring to Bella as a man?  I thought Bella was a woman's name.  The only Bella I have known was a woman.

Do any of you know any men named Bella?  Or are you assuming that a man is posting under a woman's name?

programmer

programmer -

so, are you saying Bella's a 'cross-poster' ?

<sorry-- couldn't leave it alone ;->

anonQAguy

I always thought of Bella as a man, but maybe it's because of this guy:

http://www.grandstandsports.com/images/8450.jpg

I see, though, that Bela Karolyi actually spells his name a bit differently.

J. D. Trollinger

Just ran across an obituary for a Bella -- and it's a woman:

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-me-stumbo7dec07.story

Now, back to the question of her -- our Bella's -- negativity.

Bella-cose
Tuesday, December 10, 2002

From babynames.com for the name Bella:

- Meaning: Beautiful
- Origin: Latin

Who knew?  I always assumed Bella was just another smart-assed guy.

But behold, she is a beautiful woman. So obviously, she's cranky on these boards because you've all been calling her a dude!

So, ask not for whom the Bella trolls, she trolls for you...

EmbarassedToBewastingMyTimeOnThisCrap

Hey -

some of you may have seen the stats on postings to this group -- I forget the link right now -- but I propose Joel start monitoring a new stat:

Posters who **become** a thread of their own, without being part of it.

Now - how many of us can claim that fame, Hmm? Here we all are, either with way too much time on our hands, or **really** trying hard to avoid doing the work we're getting paid to do, building an entire thread around one of the posters.

I say "Go Bella!" -- you've arrived at some mysterious level of accomplishment here.

-- cheers,

anonQAguy

If he's not answering, let me chime in with an installment of As the Workplace Turns...

Today my sysadmin mentioned that the company's lawyer had strutting around like he owns the company, making decisions about drawing the line between hardware and software.  His qualification was that he was the guy who dealt with computers at his last job, installing a DSL router.

BTW, he was hired because former employees kept on suing the company.  Management did interesting things like pay mostly on commission... but forget to tell people that it wasn't actually a finished software product!

anon

This topic is in poor taste.

If you have beef with a poster's attitude, either address it within the topic the attitude appears or take it to eMail.

Norrick

I always assumed Bella was a reference to http://www.xtrax.de/gallery-of-fame/xtrax-tanz-der-vampire/Seiten/bella-lugosi.htm

Just me (Sir to you)

Regarding Norrick's post about the topic being in poor taste, I sympathize but respectuflly disagree.

First, this concerns a pervasive attitude, and addressing it within a particular topic would be off-topic for that topic.  The point of topics is to focus discussion on a particular issue; discussing one posters' pervasive negativity would detract from that focus.

Taking it to e-mail would be nice, but Bella has never supplied an e-mail address, as far as I know.

Typically, I agree that this sort of topic is best taken off-forum.  But I can't see of any way to do that here.

Brent P. Newhall

The Hungarian male given name "Béla" is always spelled with a single L, and has nothing to do with the many female names based on variations on the latin word for beautiful.

Martha

Bella has in the past stated explicitly that he was male.

Chris Tavares

"Typically, I agree that this sort of topic is best taken off-forum.  But I can't see of any way to do that here. "

Well, we're in agreement there.  The way to take this topic offline without having Bella's email is to simply not post it in the first place.  But it seems we're too late for that.

I guess I'm just used to well-moderated boards like ArsTechnica.

Norrick

Bella regularly attacks people by suggesting they are stupid or incompetent (with little grounds for thinking so).  She taunts other people in a cruel manner, and attempts to bait people into giving answers that she will then enthusiastically ridicule (best example: remember the "who wears Old Navy clothes" thread she started?).

In doing these things, she violates norms of civil discussion.

Therefore, it is entirely reasonable to ask her why she is so negative.  And to discuss these things among ourselves, publicly.

(Also, she has in the past left an e-mail address.  It was either junkaccount2001@hotmail.com or junkaccount2001@yahoo.com.)

programmer

Yes, he or she is a real Hitler.

End of thread.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, December 11, 2002

Interesting (and constructive) contribution from Bella on the "coping with burnout" thread answers several of your questions.

Attending the wake
Wednesday, December 11, 2002

Most of you think Bella is a female and that is why you are singling her out for attack.  I see it everyday.  Most male developers just don't like having girls on the team. Sad.

Jeremy
Wednesday, December 18, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home