Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Rewriting WinAmp from scratch (part 2)

Some time ago there was an topic on this forum about WinAmp's rewriting from scratch being a good or a bad thing. Today I was bored coding and decided to check out new skins. This is what I found:

http://winamp.com/skins/detail.jhtml;?componentId=122902

Apparently, great looks and user friendliness can go together. I especially love the horizontal WinShade mode. Sure, WinAmp 3 still is a resource hog (weirdly enough the CPU load goes to 0 on my system if I switch off the scrolling titles), but IMHO this MMD3 skin proves that the choice made by the WinAmp 3 developers was a good one. Such a beautiful and intuitive interface could never have been created with the WinAmp 2 skin engine.

Jan Derk
Sunday, December 08, 2002

i d/l the XP skin. It kick ass.

You are right about it eating into resource, quite a few times it uses more memory than Windows Media Player.

Prakash S
Sunday, December 08, 2002

rewriting a proven solution from scratch is never a good idea, as any good programmer should know.

Sure, the code is a mess but so what? It works.

I switched back to Winamp classic because Winamp 3 was just so unresponsive. It's a big resource hog, for just an mp3 player ya know.

Wei
Monday, December 09, 2002

Whether the decision to rewrite from scratch was a good one or not can only be judged by the people who were involved on the process, I guess. Maybe refactoring would have worked better or as well. Who knows? I agree with Jan on the quality of the outcome, though. The new WinAmp rulez!

Have fun,

Jutta Jordans

I still use the old version of Winamp. I didn't like the new interface and the fact that I couldn't find the buttons I needed on some skins because they were apparently not worthy.

Nullsoft was bought by AOL for 400 million having only released winamp, shoutcast, and a few other small applications. Thats a hell of a lot of money for a few small applications. Kudos to them.

Ian Stallings

Re-writing some areas of code can be the best course of action if, for example, a major shift in functionality or look is desired. Forcing code into contortions it was never designed for is painful and bug-prone. It's wholescale 'baby-with-bath-water' rewrites that are a problem.

Mr Jack

I can't stand products that waste development time on skin-enablement. There is nothing more useless and time-wasting than skins.

pb

winamp actually sold for $100M.  there is an untold part of the story involving the fact that one of the winamper's relatives is an old-school silicon valley merger negotiator. ;-)

I agree with pb, skins are a turn off.
They tell me that human beings are mostly stupid.

Just like the fact that Dulux paints has had more than 200 different 'whites'.

Alberto

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home