Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Looking for an evite style application

Does anyone know of or use a web application similar to evite?

The basic idea is that you can create an "event" page and invite many people to the event. Evite then sends an email with a unique URL to everyone on your list. People can use this unique URL to login to evite and sign up for your event or decline to attend. Users can also create individual accounts and see a calendar showing all of the evite events they've been invited too.

I like the way evite works for the most part, but here are my problems:
1) Undependable email delivery. Evite seems to drop some of the email invitations that it should be sending.
2) Popups and other advertising.
3) Spam harvesting/marketing - I'm not saying evite does this, but it seems like an incredible way to gather information about people's networks of friends/associates and what they do.
4) I would like to send a note with the initial invitation, but evite only sends the URL to your event in the initial invitation. This is a minor problem because it lets you send a message to all invitees later, but still...

Yahoo groups is another website with overlapping features, but it also has many of the drawbacks.

I think the best solution would be a web app that I can install on my own server. I'm willing to do a little setup work, but I'd prefer something easy to configure.

Almost any calendar software would work, but it would need to generate a unique key for each event because not everyone will have a username on the server. Does that make sense?

Any ideas?

NathanJ
Wednesday, December 04, 2002

How about the web version of Outlook?

Senator Awesome

What do I need for the web version of Outlook? Do I need to run a windows server with IIS and Exchange?

I'd prefer to run this on a unix/bsd/linux box that could be in my basement or colocated at an ISP.

Also, wouldn't outlook require me to add user accounts? I want to avoid adding a new user for each attendee.

Thanks,
Nathan

NathanJ

Why not just use whatever's out there, and get on with your life ?

Bella

>> Why not just use whatever's out there, and get on with your life ?

Please reread my original post for 4 reasons.

If there is another similar application out there that can solve one or more of my problems I will check it out.

NathanJ

I prefer the old-fashioned kind of invitations -- the ones written in a card and sent by postal mail.  I can tack them up on the bulletin board above my desk, or use a magnet to stick them to my refrigerator.  This is also how I handle the little cards that remind me of doctor and dentist appointments.

J. D. Trollinger

Yeah, I find Evite incredible lousy. It's criminal that it doesn't put any event information in the email both for when you don't have web access (BlackBerry) and because the Evite site is so slow. And the site seems like quite a mess. I think 2 people in a garage could come up with a replacement and make in-roads on Evite.

pb
Thursday, December 05, 2002

You get what you pay for.  Dont look a gifthorse in the mouth.

Bella
Thursday, December 05, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home