Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Doesn't anyone make a high-res lcd monitor?

Hi All,

After using my Compaq tablet PC now for a week or so, I have decided that I would like to get the docking station and hook it up to a large monitor for use while coding.  As much as I've been using the tablet, even for light coding and UI work, it really seems like I am transfering  files back and forth so much it might be better if I could just use this as my main machine. I'd like to try anyway.

My main coding machine is a 2.4Ghz laptop with a 15.1" screen running 1400x1050 resolution. The high-res screen is why l switched to the laptops 2 years ago. In looking around now, I still don't see any lcd flat panel monitors that meet my desires.

What I ideally want is a stand-alone monitor exactly like the one in my notebook. Just big enough where it reasonably fits into my field of vision at a reasonable distance away, but not so big that I have to purposefully look up/down/left/right or push it farther away to see everything. But with a resolution higher than 1024x768.  I have great eyesight, I just want to view as much as possible in a comfortable space.

All I can find are 15" at 1024x768 and 17"at 1280x 1024. To me these are the same. With the extra size, the bump up to 1280 means that the physical size of objects is the same. What's the point of the extra size then?

Does anyone know of any 15" flat panel monitors that run more than 1024x768?

Does anyone else feel the same way about this?

--Josh

JWA
Tuesday, December 03, 2002

Make mine a 20/21" at 1600x1200, every time.  Any larger of a screen and it becomes an unreasonably large piece of hardware; any less resolution, and there goes the ability to look at two fair-sized items side-by-side (code/operate on one side, watch the debugging output fly on the other, with enough displayed lines to catch the good stuff).  There are several strong contenders at this level; Dell's 2000FP seems to be popular, and it isn't /outrageously/ expensive.

Those 1400x1050 15" laptop screens strike a good balance for detached use.  That balance is between displayed pixels and eyestrain.

Granted, one's gaze must shift a little to cover the entire 20" screen.  I guess you don't have to use the entire screen area...

Steve Kradel
Wednesday, December 04, 2002

<quote>
All I can find are 15" at 1024x768 and 17"at 1280x 1024. To me these are the same. With the extra size, the bump up to 1280 means that the physical size of objects is the same. What's the point of the extra size then?
</quote>

67% more desktop space?

But I also wonder why desktop TFT'generally have a lower resolution than laptop TFT's.

Jan Derk

Right, it is of course more desktop space, but spreading that desktop space over a larger area means that the resulting size of the objects in my field of vision is basically the same.

Basically I don't want to drag the boundries of my desktop over, I want to zoom out on it. At the size of a 17" flat panel I'd want to be running at least 1600x1200 res.

--Josh

JWA

It's simple, virtually all the 1400x1050 panels in the world have been bought by or are optioned to laptop manufacturers.

Matt

Why not a CRT?

I know this isn't exactly what your asking, but why not a CRT? I like my LCD screen, but it can't hold a candle to my CRT resolution-wise.

The biggest complaint most people (myself included) have with CRT's is the flicker: However, you can get some very very good CRT's with high refresh rates that mask the problem.

My Sony CPD-E400 has a maximum resolution of 1800x1440. I don't use that, i usually run 1600x1200 with a 75mhz. refresh rate, which is quite good. Or lower resolutions at even higher refresh rates.

This may not be the perfect solution for you, but it's worth considering, especially considering the price differential.

Mike Swieton

"The biggest complaint most people (myself included) have with CRT's is the flicker: However, you can get some very very good CRT's with high refresh rates that mask the problem."

I haven't been able to find a CRT that can hold a candle to the sharpness of the text I get with my Dell 2000FP.  If you put Dell's comparable CRT side-by-side (Trinitron yada-yada), the difference is marked.  The LCD text is *sharp*.

Bob

Robert Anderson

Apple has a 1900x1200 display (23 inch diagonal). You'd need to buy a Mac to use it with, though...

Mark Bessey
Thursday, December 05, 2002

there is an adapter for the cinema display. someone in my office uses it with a windows machine. however, i don't know how the adapter affects the resolution.

cinema

I do not think the original poster wants a large LCD. There are heaploads of those (e.g. http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd_vp2290b.htm ).
What he wants is a small but high res LCD (e.g. something based e.g. on a Samsung WiseView LTN154UXGA (15.4", 1,920 x 1,200, see http://www.samsungelectronics.com/semiconductors/TFT_LCD/wiseview_2002_10.pdf )
Couldn't find it either though.

Just me (Sir to you)

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home