Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Web site design and Ecommerce site charging fee

Well i just got a couple of contract lately for
web design and web driven applications
You know the hole shabang....

But i was wondering how much or how should i charge.

Per contract
per hour
per page

???
Thx

Nicholas Franks
Friday, November 29, 2002

Nicolas,

I wouldn't necessarily go 'per page' because it if they are dynamic (data-driven) sites/apps, you will generally have less pages than a static site. 

Per contract ("fixed price") is generally considered good if you've already done very similar work and know how long it will take you (you can make more than hourly in this manner (especially if you can reuse some code that you've got laying around.)  Although a fixed-price contract generally requires a fixed set of requirements based on the original specification/RFQ (request for proposal) because adding new features/functionality will cause the project to take more of your time than you had planned/budgeted for. 

Hourly pricing is good for projects in which you've either A) never done before & can't really estimate how long it will take you to do and/or B) when your client is the type that likes to change things/features/look/etc 47,000 times during the project.

GiorgioG

Yes Thanks,

But know once i decided to go per hour or per contract,
I was wondering how much too charge in $$$

I think i will call a couple of local web designer/Programmer
to make them give me a pricing for a simillar project.

I've only done/sold Database applications wish none of them were web aware, so i really dont have a clue of the $$$
in the market today for that kind of developpement.

Nicholas Franks

Nicolas,

It depends where you're located, how complicated the project(s) are (what skill level they require), etc.  If you're a consulting company you can get away with charging $125/hr+.  If you're joe schmoe independant consultant, $60-$95 is more like it (in my area - Buffalo, NY.) 

Just as a gauge, Buffalo is pretty cheap as there's not a whole hell of a lot of IT needs in the area, so you'd definitely charge more in a place like NYC for example.

GiorgioG

"I was wondering how much too charge in $$$"

As much as you can get away with, that is what everyone else charges.

Tuesday, December 03, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home